Meatballs are one of my favourite low carb dinner go-tos... and these ones will not disappoint. Packed with flavour and super easy to make. Serve with the dairy free basil pesto for a real crowd pleaser.
Can be baked or pan fried and freeze really well so you can make up a big batch for when you’re busy and need something Keto-friendly on the quick.
Enjoy as a side or picnic food now the weather’s getting warmer or why not serve with some low carb mash or courgette (zucchini) noodles? Weekday winner dinner right here!
Nutritional values (per serving, 4-5 meatballs)
|of which Saturated||9.5||grams|
|Magnesium||65||mg (16% RDA)|
|Potassium||517||mg (26% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (3%), protein (21%), fat (76%)
Ingredients (makes 4 servings, 16-20 meatballs)
- 300 g good quality ground turkey (10.6 oz)
- 250 g good quality ground pork, 20% fat (8.8 oz)
- 1 small red onion (45 g/ 1.6 oz)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley (15 g/ 0.5 oz), plus extra for garnish
- 2 cloves garlic
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp of paprika
- Optional: fresh chilli to taste
- pinch sea salt and black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil or duck fat for frying
Dairy free basil pesto:
- ⅓ cup pine nuts (45 g/ 1.6 oz)
- 1 cup fresh basil (35 g/ 1.2 oz)
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil (45 ml)
- 1 ½ tbsp fresh lemon juice
- pinch sea salt
Note: you can try other keto-friendly pesto sauces.
- Simply place all the ingredients in a high speed food processor. Blitz until combined. It should still have textured, so not too smooth.
- Peel and finely dice the onion and garlic. Zest the lemon. Finely chop the parsley.
- Place the mince, onion, garlic, lemon zest, parsley, paprika and optional chilli in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper and mix well with your hands. Shape into 16 to 20 meatballs.
- To pan fry - Add a little olive oil to a non stick frying pan. When hot add the meatballs. Fry for 15 minutes, turning regularly until golden on the outside and cooked through. Alternatively you can place on a greaseproof lined baking tray and roast in the oven (190 C fan assisted/ 375 F) for 20 - 30 minutes until lovely and golden brown.
- Drain the juices after about 15 minutes and turn. Serve the pesto over the meatballs or on the side for dipping.
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!