There is nothing better for this time of year than the aroma of freshly baked apple pie. As you may have guessed, this one has no apples in it. I have to admit that I was really hesitant to use zucchini in a sweet pie. I got inspired by the very talented recipe creator Lisa of Low-Carb Yum who has been using it on a regular basis. Some of her amazing creations are: Zucchini Apple Fritter Bread, Mock Apple Crisp and Zucchini Cinnamon Apples. Apart from zucchini, I used my Keto Caramel Sauce and Sweet Keto Pie Crust to make this recipe.
This pie was a great success. In fact, I managed to fool everyone with my zucchini pie! I didn't tell my fiancé what it's made with and his instant reaction was: "...but I thought that apples are not low-carb?" He loved it and asked for another slice.
A day after I had a friend visiting with her husband. They don't know much about low-carb, paleo or keto so they had no idea that this was not just another apple pie served with some "regular" vanilla ice-cream. You should have seen their faces when I told them that there were no apples, flour or sugar in it. Her husband is a diabetic so he was really pleased that he could have a slice without spiking his blood sugar.
Nutritional values (per serving):
|of which Saturated||11.1||grams|
|Magnesium||113||mg (28% RDA)|
|Potassium||515||mg (26% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (7%), protein (14%), fat (79%)
Ingredients (makes 8 servings):
- 4-6 zucchini, green or yellow, peeled and seeds removed (600 g/ 21.2 oz/ 1.32 lb)
- ⅔ cup Keto Caramel Sauce (160 g/ 5.6 oz)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice (about ½ lemon)
Note: Keep in mind that weights are per already prepared zucchini (600 g/ 1.32 lb). You can use the scraps (zucchini cores) in another recipe. Simply cut into small pieces and add to soups or sauces. When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives).
- Follow this recipe to make the pie crust. Once baked, place on a cooling rack and set aside. Here is how to make the caramel sauce.
- Peel, halve and quarter the zucchini lenghwise and cut the middle part off. Alternatively, halve the zucchini lengthwise and use a melon baller to scoop the soft core out.
- Slice the zucchini into medium pieces. Place the slices in a pot with boiling water until barely tender, for about 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat and drain well. Using paper towels, pat try to remove excess moisture from the zucchini slices and place in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix the almond flour and Erythritol. Then add butter cut in pieces and use your hands to combine and create crumbly dough. Set aside.
- Into the bowl with the cooked zucchini slices, add cream of tartar, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice and the caramel sauce. Mix until well combined.
- Place the zucchini mixture on top of the pie crust and spread evenly over the top. Crumble the almond dough over the top and place in the oven for about 30 minutes at 150 C/ 300 F.
- When done, remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack to chill. The filling will need to reach room temperature before you cutting it or it will be too soft.
- Optionally, serve with a scoop of No-churn Vanilla Keto Ice-Cream and enjoy! :-)
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!