I know that people who don't eat meat find it more difficult to stick with a low-carb, keto diet. If you want to learn more, I have discussed vegetarian and vegan keto diets in this post. This recipe is a great vegetarian option and even meat-eaters will like it. I used my Keto Buns recipe to make these burgers. I promise you they taste as delicious as they look! :-)
Also see similar recipes:
Nutritional values (per serving)
|of which Saturated||18.9||grams|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (5.6%), protein (15.2%), fat (79.3%). Are you counting total carbs? This post explains whether you should be counting total or net carbs.
Ingredients (makes 2 servings)
Marinated & grilled mushrooms:
- 2 medium large flat mushrooms such as Portobello (150 g / 5.3 oz)
- 1 tbsp ghee or coconut oil (you can make your own)
- 1-2 tbsp freshly chopped basil or 1 tsp dried
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped oregano or ½ tsp dried
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ¼ tsp salt or more to taste (I like pink Himalayan)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 keto buns (recipe for my Ultimate Keto Buns is here)
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise - you can make your own
- 2 large eggs, free-range or organic
- 2 slices hard cheese such as cheddar or gouda (40 g / 1.4 oz)
- 1 cup mixed lettuce
If you can't eat psyllium, try these buns instead. When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives).
- Make the Ultimate Keto Buns. Prepare the mushrooms for marinating. Season with salt and pepper, add crushed garlic and freshly chopped herbs and ghee, preferably melted. Keep some of the ghee for frying the eggs. Keep the mushrooms at room temperature and marinate for up to an hour. Although marinating is highly recommended, you can skip it if you don't have time.
- Place the mushrooms top side up on a hot griddle pan or a regular pan. Cook over a medium-high heat for about 5 minutes. Then, flip on the other side and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Take off the heat. Flip back on the top side and top each of the mushrooms with cheese slices. Just before serving, place under a broiler for a few minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Meanwhile, fry the eggs on the remaining ghee. I used these molds to create perfect shapes for the burgers. Cook the eggs until the egg white is opaque and the yolks still runny. Then, take off the heat.
- Cut the buns in half and place each halve, cut side down on a hot griddle pan and cook for 2-3 minutes until crispy.
- Start assembling the burgers by adding a tablespoon of mayo on each of the keto bun halves. Top with portobello mushrooms, ...
- ... fried eggs a slices of tomato and lettuce. Serve any remaining lettuce aside. Enjoy!
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!