Everyone should know how to make a perfect steak. I love this cut of beef and prefer it to sirloin because of the extra fat. This recipe shows an easy method that works great and produces evenly cooked meat: nicely browned on the outside, juicy and pink inside. The most important thing is to always rest the meat and not overcook it. I love serving it with Gremolata or Chimichurri, both are delicious herb-based condiments. Another way to serve steaks is with cheese sauce or creamy mushroom sauce (one of the recipes in KetoDiet App).
I used a small steak. You should choose the size based on your energy needs and your ideal protein intake. As you may know, carbs are not the only factor to consider when following a low-carb ketogenic diet. I always go for a small or medium sized steak. Here is an overview of the average protein and fat content:
- small: 200 g / 7.1 oz: 38 grams protein, 40 g fat
- medium: 250 g / 8.8 oz: 47 grams protein, 50 g fat
- large: 300 g / 10.6 oz: 56 g protein, 60 g fat
- extra large: 350 g / 12.3 oz: 66 g protein, 69 g fat
Nutritional values (per serving)
|of which Saturated||28.5||grams|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (0.7%), protein (21.2%), fat (78.1%)
Ingredients (makes 2 servings)
When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives).
- Allow the steak to sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes. Using a paper towel, pat the excess blood off. Toss with some melted ghee and season with salt and pepper. The ghee may solidify even at room temperature which is perfectly normal.
Make sure you season the steak after you toss it with oil. You don't want to wash the seasoning off.
- Prepare the Gremolata by mixing the melted ghee (or olive oil), freshly chopped parsley, crushed garlic and finely grated lemon zest. Season with salt to taste. Set aside for later. If using ghee, keep warm or it may solidify.
- Fry in a very hot heavy based pan over a high heat for 2-4 minutes on each side to seal in the juices. When you see the sides getting brown, it's time to flip it over. The exact time depends on the size of your steak. Small would take 2 minutes, while large up to 4 minutes to brown. Reduce to a medium heat and continue to cook for further 4 minutes (rare), 7 minutes (medium), 11 minutes (well done). There is no need to turn the steak again. If you use a thermometer, the steak should read 52-60 C / 125-140 F (rare to medium-rare).
I used a cast iron griddle pan which is perfect for steaks!
- Remove the steak from the pan and allow it to rest in a warm place for 5-7 minutes. The steak will finish cooking in the residual heat as the temperature slowly goes down. The best way to rest the steak is to fold it up in parchment paper and then in a kitchen towel. This will keep it juicy and equally pink inside.
- When ready to be served, place on a serving plate.
- Serve with the Gremolata and try Creamy Keto Mash. If serving with keto mash, you won't need to add any ghee on top of the mash - use the Gremolata instead!
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!