Before I get to my recipe, I'd like to let you know that over the next few months I will be busy working on my new cookbook which will include 150 low-carb & paleo / primal recipes. I won't have time to post on my blog as frequently as I used to but I'll try to post a recipe every week.
This recipe is inspired by the amazing Grain-free Hamburger Buns from Danielle of Against All Grain. Her buns are absolutely delicious and so easy to make. To lower the net carbs per serving and make my recipe more keto-friendly, I changed some of the ingredients.
I used my Almond & Cashew Butter which is toasted and has quite strong flavour. Use raw nuts if you prefer a milder taste. The reason I used coconut flour is that it helps soak up some of the moisture and prevents the bagels from being too chewy. Don't expect these bagels to be just like regular grain bagels. They are not as fluffy which is caused by their high-fat content and lack of gluten. On the other hand, I haven't tried adding some psyllium husk powder. Psyllium husk powder is, in my opinion, one of the best low-carb ingredients for baked goods and I have used it in several recipes in the KetoDiet apps & book. I bet these bagels would be a lot fluffier with some psyllium in them! :-)
Nutritional values (per bagel with no filling)
|of which Saturated||4.6||grams|
|Magnesium||80||mg (20% RDA)|
|Potassium||322||mg (16% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (6.5%), protein (13.6%), fat (79.9%)
Ingredients (makes 8 bagels)
Make sure you use a kitchen scale for measuring all the dry ingredients. Using just cups may not be enough to achieve best results, especially in baked goods. Weights per cups and tablespoons may vary depending on the product/ brand or if you make you own ingredients (like flaxmeal from flaxseeds).
- Make Almond & Cashew Butter (follow this recipe) if you haven't done so. The butter has to be warm before you mix it with the other ingredients. Cold nut butter straight from the fridge would be difficult to mix. If needed, warm it up slightly in a water bath or a microwave oven.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F / 200 C. Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks. Place the egg yolks into the warm Almond & Cashew Butter and add baking soda. Season with salt and pour in lukewarm coconut milk (or cream) and lukewarm water. Process with an electric mixer until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites. Add cream of tartar while beating until they create soft peaks.
- Add the coconut flour into the bowl with the sticky dough and mix well. Then, add the egg whites into the bowl and process until well combined.
- Spoon the dough into a bagel pan. Place in the oven and cook for 5 minutes at 200 C / 400 F. Then, lower the temperature to 150 C / 300 F and cook for another 15-20 minutes.
- When done, remove from the oven and set aside to cool down.
- Cut widthwise and fill with your favourite ingredients. I used my Paleo Avocado Pesto, mozzarella, cherry tomatoes and green lettuce leaves. You can try all sorts of condiments: ketchup, mayo, cream cheese, sauerkraut, mustard, etc. (a complete list of home-made ingredients is on my blog). These bagels are best eaten within 1-3 days but you can refrigerate or freeze them for longer. Enjoy!
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!