Confession: the older I get, the more I love to eat stuff out of a bowl. Any meal that involves layering flavours and textures in a bowl is my kind of meal.
I know, you can put that same stuff on a plate, but it’s just not the same. What’s up with that?
This low-carb chicken fajita dish is a perfect example; beautiful seasoned chicken breast is thinly sliced over sweet roasted bell peppers and onion and the whole lot is nestled on a bed of spinach. Finish it off with some avocado wedges, sour cream and coriander and I’m your slave for life.
You can make the taco peppers and chicken in advance and assemble the bowls before serving. This is the perfect keto lunch box meal. Enjoy!
How to Make Taco Seasoning
You can either use store bought taco seasoning or make your own — it's easy! You will need the following ingredients:
- 2 tbsp Mexican chile powder (ancho for mild, chipotle for hot)
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
- 4 tsp ground coriander
- 4 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 4 tsp dried oregano
- 4 tsp dried marjoram
- 2 tsp sea salt
Place all of the rub ingredients in a jar and shake well to combine. Store any leftover rub in the jar and use on other dishes.
Serving size 1 bowl
Allergy information for Low-Carb Chicken Fajita Lunch Bowl
✔ Gluten free
✔ Egg free
✔ Nut free
✔ Pork free
✔ Coconut free
✔ Fish free
✔ Shellfish free
✔ Beef free
Nutritional values (per serving, 1 bowl)
Net carbs8.8 grams
Calories from carbs 6%, protein 22%, fat 72%
Total carbs15.6 gramsFiber6.8 gramsSugars6.2 gramsSaturated fat10.8 gramsSodium140 mg(6% RDA)Magnesium97 mg(24% RDA)Potassium1,155 mg(58% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
- 2 skinless chicken breasts (500 g/ 1.1 lb)
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning (15 g/ 0.5 oz)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin avocado oil or ghee (30 ml)
- 1 each medium red, yellow and green peppers (120 g/ 4.2 oz each, 360 g/ 12.7 oz total)
- 1/2 small red onion (30 g/ 1.1 oz)
- 1 large avocado (200 g/ 7.1 oz)
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves (120 g/ 4.2 oz)
- 1 cup sour cream (240 ml/ 8 fl oz)
- 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil to drizzle (60 ml)
- Prepare all the ingredients. Mix the taco seasoning spices if you are making your own.
- Lay the chicken breasts out on a sheet of baking paper, drizzle them with 1 tbsp avocado oil and then sprinkle them with 1 tablespoon of seasoned rub per each side.
- Massage the rub into the chicken and then cook it over high heat on a BBQ or grill plate until seared and caramelised on the outside, lower the heat and finish cooking until the juices run clear.
- Remove and cover loosely with foil to rest while you finish preparing the roasted vegetables.
- Peel and cut the onion into wedges, separate the layers. Core and seed the peppers and cut into chunky strips.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of avocado oil in a large frying pan and cook the peppers and red onions until softened and slightly charred.
- Slice the chicken across the grain into strips.
- Layer the bowls with spinach, roasted vegetables and sliced chicken and then top with avocado and sour cream. Garnish with coriander and drizzle with olive oil, 1 tablespoon per bowl.
- You can store the chicken and the cooked peppers in a covered container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Don’t store the avocado, as it will brown. Cut the avocado fresh before you eat it.
Ingredient nutritional breakdown (per serving, 1 bowl)
|Chicken, breast (without skin, raw)|
|0 g||28.1 g||3.3 g||150 kcal|
|Taco seasoning, mixed Mexican spices|
|1.1 g||0.5 g||0.5 g||12 kcal|
|Avocado oil, extra virgin|
|0 g||0 g||10.5 g||93 kcal|
|Peppers, red bell, fresh|
|1.2 g||0.3 g||0.1 g||9 kcal|
|Peppers, yellow bell, fresh|
|1.2 g||0.3 g||0.1 g||9 kcal|
|Peppers, green bell, fresh|
|0.9 g||0.3 g||0.1 g||6 kcal|
|Onion, red, fresh|
|0.5 g||0.1 g||0 g||3 kcal|
|0.9 g||1 g||7.4 g||80 kcal|
|0.4 g||0.9 g||0.1 g||7 kcal|
|2.7 g||1.4 g||11.1 g||114 kcal|
|Coriander (cilantro), fresh|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Olive oil, extra virgin|
|0 g||0 g||13.5 g||119 kcal|
|Total per serving, 1 bowl|
|8.8 g||32.9 g||46.6 g||602 kcal|
Follow us 148.4k
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!