I didn’t think that I was going to be able to pull this keto recipe off.
I mean, a pretzel has to be crispy on the outside and soft and chewy in the middle, right? How was that going to work for low-carb?
With patience and persistence, my friends… I’ll tell you that when I finally nailed this recipe, I nearly ate the whole tray, they awe THAT good!
It's made with a similar grain-free dough that we used for our keto Panini with the addition of xanthan gum. A note, so that you don’t get as frustrated as I did; the addition of xanthan gum makes this fat head dough feel completely different when you are working it.
Don’t panic! This grain-free and keto dough is supposed to feel firmer and almost crumblier. Just keep shaping them the best you can. If you need to, warm them for 5 seconds in the microwave to make them a bit more pliable. Enjoy!
Serving size 1 pretzel
Allergy information for Low-Carb & Keto Pretzels
✔ Gluten free
✔ Nightshade free
✔ Pork free
✔ Avocado free
✔ Coconut free
✔ Fish free
✔ Shellfish free
✔ Beef free
Nutritional values (per serving, 1 pretzel)
Net carbs2.3 grams
Calories from carbs 6%, protein 19%, fat 75%
Total carbs3.9 gramsFiber1.6 gramsSugars1 gramsSaturated fat4.1 gramsSodium418 mg(18% RDA)Magnesium39 mg(10% RDA)Potassium123 mg(6% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 12 pretzels)
- 1 3/4 cups shredded low-moisture mozzarella cheese (200 g/ 7 oz)
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour (150 g/ 5.3 oz)
- 1 heaped tbsp cream cheese (30 g/ 1.1 oz)
- 2 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter (28 g/ 1 oz)
- additional coarse salt
- Preheat oven to 180 °C/ 355 °F (fan assisted), or 200 °C/ 400 °F (conventional).
- Place the mozzarella and cram cheese in a microwave safe bowl and heat on high for 1 minute.
- Remove and stir and then heat in 30 second bursts until the cheese is melted and smooth.
- Place the dry ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. Add the egg and the dry ingredients into the mixing bowl and mix with the mozzarella mixture until a smooth dough forms.
- Cut into 12 even pieces (about 32 g/ 1.1 oz each).
- Roll them into a rope shape, then overlap the ends to form a pretzel. Continue until they’re all done.
- Melt the butter and brush the tops of each pretzel. Sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown. Eat while warm, dipped in mustard (you can even make your own mustard — it's delicious!
- Store, in an airtight container, in the pantry for up to five days.
Ingredient nutritional breakdown (per serving, 1 pretzel)
|Mozzarella cheese (low moisture, for pizza)|
|0.9 g||3.9 g||3.3 g||49 kcal|
|Almond flour (blanched ground almonds, almond meal)|
|1.1 g||2.7 g||6.6 g||74 kcal|
|Cream cheese, soft (full-fat)|
|0.1 g||0.2 g||0.7 g||6 kcal|
|Baking powder, gluten-free|
|0.2 g||0 g||0 g||1 kcal|
|Egg, whole, fresh, raw (free-range or organic eggs)|
|0 g||0.5 g||0.4 g||6 kcal|
|Xanthan gum, thickening agent|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||1 kcal|
|Salt, sea salt|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Butter, unsalted, grass-fed|
|0 g||0 g||1.9 g||17 kcal|
|Total per serving, 1 pretzel|
|2.3 g||7.3 g||12.8 g||154 kcal|
Follow us 148.4k
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!