A few months ago I asked my readers on social media to give me a list of recipes they miss most on keto. One of those frequently requested recipes was challah bread so I though I should give it a try!
There are so many recipe options I could use to make this traditional Jewish bread recipe but I wanted to try something new this time. So I used our modified Fat Head dough recipe and lupin flour instead of the usual nut or seed flours.
I'll be completely honest with you guys. It does not taste like real challah bread but it sure is the perfect vessel for any toppings!
I topped this keto challah bread with everything bagel seasoning and flaked sea salt but you could keep it plain and simply use the egg wash.
You can cut this low-carb challah bread in wedges or slice it thinly and then bake again on low until crunchy to make savory biscotti.
Similar to any Fat Head dough recipe like these Keto Garlic Knots, this bread is best served warm so I recommend briefly reheating it in the oven before serving. As it cool down, it will become more dense.
Just like peanuts, lupin flakes are made from beans and are legumes. Although they are low in carbs, not everyone can tolerate legumes or may even be allergic to them. Peanut and nut allergy sufferers beware!
I use lupin flour to keep this bread nut-free and coconut-free but if you can't eat lupin flour, you can use some of the options recommended below.
Almond flour can be used instead of lupin flour. To do that, simply use our Keto Pretzels recipe but make a challah bread loaf instead. To keep this recipe nut-free, replace the almond flour with the same amount of ground sunflower seeds.
Flax meal could be used instead of lupin flour. I haven't tested this version but would suggest using 3/4 cup packed flax meal (113 g/ 4 oz) instead of the lupin flour.
If you are looking for a dairy-free alternative, you could try using my Ultimate Keto Sausage Rolls recipe. If you also need this to be egg-free, try using my Ultimate Keto Breadsticks recipe.
DIY Everything Bagel Seasoning
Don't have ready-made everything bagel seasoning? You can easily make your own by mixing the following ingredients:
- 1 1/2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp onion flakes
- 1 tsp garlic flakes
- 1/2 tsp sea salt or flaked sea salt
Follow us 148.4k
Serving size slice, 1/6 bread
Allergy information for Keto Challah Bread
✔ Gluten free
✔ Nut free
✔ Nightshade free
✔ Pork free
✔ Avocado free
✔ Coconut free
✔ Fish free
✔ Shellfish free
✔ Beef free
Nutritional values (per serving, slice, 1/6 bread)
Net carbs3.6 grams
Calories from carbs 8%, protein 33%, fat 59%
Total carbs8.6 gramsFiber5.1 gramsSugars1.5 gramsSaturated fat6.2 gramsSodium721 mg(31% RDA)Magnesium39 mg(10% RDA)Potassium226 mg(11% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 1 loaf, 6 servings)
- 1 3/4 cups shredded low-moisture mozzarella cheese (200 g/ 7 oz)
- 1/4 cup full-fat cream cheese (60 g/ 2.1 oz)
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup lupin flour (75 g/ 2.7 oz)
- 2 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 sea salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp everything bagel seasoning (14 g/ 0.5 oz)
- Place the mozzarella and cream cheese in a bowl and microwave for 60 to 90 seconds. Alternatively, place in a small saucepan and melt over a low heat.
- Place the melted mozzarella into a food processor. Add the lupin flour (see recipe tips for alternatives), baking powder, xanthan gum and salt. Process until well combined and thick dough forms.
- Remove from the food processor, form into a ball and then cut into 4 equal pieces.
- Roll the dough into 4 long thin strands, about 50 cm (20 inch) each.
- To braid the bread (I'll be sharing a short video soon so stay tuned!), place two of the strands next to each other vertically on a board or a rolling mat. Weave the remaining two strands horizontally over and under the vertical strands so the center looks like two tightly packed plus signs.
- For each direction, take the strand on the left and then cross it over the strand on the right, leaving no space between the strands (again they are tightly packed). Repeat this step going in the opposite direction.
- Keep going by crossing the dough strands over each other, alternating directions until you run out of dough and create a round shape of braided dough. Pinch the ends closed and tuck the under the bread.
- Carefully transfer the braided loaf to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Brush with the remaining egg yolk mixed with 1 to 2 teaspoons of water (it's ok if you have leftovers). Sprinkle with the everything bagel seasoning and transfer into the oven. Bake for about 25 minutes, rotating the tray halfway to ensure even baking.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool down slightly before slicing and serving. This bread is best served warm so I recommend briefly reheating it in the oven before serving. As it cool down, it will become more dense.
- To store, keep at room temperature loosely covered with a kitchen towel for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Ingredient nutritional breakdown (per serving, slice, 1/6 bread)
|Mozzarella cheese (low moisture, for pizza)|
|1.8 g||7.8 g||6.5 g||97 kcal|
|Cream cheese, soft (full-fat)|
|0.3 g||0.7 g||2.8 g||25 kcal|
|Egg, whole, fresh, raw (free-range or organic eggs)|
|0.1 g||1 g||0.8 g||12 kcal|
|Lupin Flour (Lupina)|
|0.4 g||5 g||0.8 g||31 kcal|
|Baking powder, gluten-free|
|0.3 g||0 g||0 g||2 kcal|
|Xanthan gum, thickening agent|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||1 kcal|
|Salt, sea salt|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Egg, yolk, raw, fresh|
|0.1 g||0.4 g||0.8 g||9 kcal|
|Everything Bagel seasoning, spices|
|0.5 g||0.4 g||0.8 g||11 kcal|
|Total per serving, slice, 1/6 bread|
|3.6 g||15.4 g||12.5 g||187 kcal|
Follow us 148.4k
- Keto Challah Bread
- Keto Challah Bread
- Martina Slajerova
- Keto Challah Bread
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!