You may be asking, "What is Crack Slaw?" Crack Slaw, or Egg Roll in a Bowl is just as delicious as egg rolls, minus the starchy wrappers. It earned its "crack" name because it's so incredibly addictive. Once you try it, you will want to make it over and over again. Plus it takes less than 20 minutes to prepare, so what's not to love?
Imagine all of the flavours of your favourite deep-fried American Chinese take out with none of the carbs and unhealthy fats that are typically used for frying the egg rolls.
This easy Asian style cabbage stir-fry is the perfect dish for your weekly meal prep plans. Compared to classic Egg Rolls, it does not require you to use egg roll wrappers or deep frying. Instead, you will only be making the filling which is naturally low in carbs and can be cooked in one skillet.
What you Need to Make Keto Crack Slaw (Egg Roll in a Bowl)
To make this Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl, you'll only need a few common ingredients:
- ground beef, pork, chicken or even turkey
- fresh garlic (or garlic powder)
- coleslaw mix (cabbage and carrot mix)
- coconut aminos (or you can use tamari sauce)
- Sriracha sauce (I make my own Fermented Sriracha Sauce)
- fresh lemon or lime juice
- healthy cooking fats (virgin avocado oil, coconut oil, ghee or duck fat)
- toasted sesame oil for flavour
- sesame seeds for sprinkling (I like a combination of black and light seeds)
- spring onion to serve
Homemade Coleslaw Mix
If you can't get ready-made coleslaw mix, simply make your own by combining shredded green or white cabbage with some red cabbage and carrot. Don't worry, one small carrot won't kick you out of ketosis or stall your progress in any way. Enjoy!
Follow us 148.4k
Serving size about 225 g/ 8 oz
Allergy information for Keto Crack Slaw - Egg Roll in a Bowl
✔ Gluten free
✔ Dairy free
✔ Egg free
✔ Nut free
✔ Pork free
✔ Avocado free
✔ Fish free
✔ Shellfish free
Nutritional values (per serving, about 225 g/ 8 oz)
Net carbs7.6 grams
Calories from carbs 7%, protein 21%, fat 72%
Total carbs11.1 gramsFiber3.5 gramsSugars5.3 gramsSaturated fat10.9 gramsSodium507 mg(22% RDA)Magnesium30 mg(8% RDA)Potassium392 mg(20% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
- 2 tbsp virgin avocado oil or ghee (30 ml)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 500 g ground beef or ground pork (1.1 lb) - I used 5% fat
- 500 g coleslaw mix (1.1 lb)
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos or tamari sauce (60 ml)
- 1 tbsp Sriracha sauce (15 ml)
- 2 tbsp fresh lime or lemon juice (30 ml)
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 4 small spring onions, sliced (40 g/ 1.4 oz)
- 2 tsp sesame seeds, to serve
- Prepare all of the ingredients. If you're making your own coleslaw mix, combine shredded green or white cabbage with some red cabbage and 1 small julienned carrot (you'll need a total of 500 g/1.1 lb coleslaw mix).
- Place minced garlic in a skillet greased with avocado oil (or ghee). Cook for a minute until fragrant.
- Add ground beef (or you can use 5% ground pork). Use a spatula to break into pieces.
- Cook on medium-high for 5 to 8 minutes until browned. Add the coleslaw mix. At first this will seem like a lot but the cabbage will cook down. Using tongs, toss while cooking.
- Mix in the coconut aminos and Sriracha and lime (or lemon) juice.
- Cook for about 10 minutes or until the cabbage is crisp tender. Take off the heat and stir in the sesame oil. Optionally, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, sprinkle with spring onion and sesame seeds.
- To store, let it cool down and refrigerate for up to 4 days. Reheat before serving. You can stir in the spring onion and sesame seeds before placing in the fridge or add it just before serving.
Ingredient nutritional breakdown (per serving, about 225 g/ 8 oz)
|Avocado oil, extra virgin|
|0 g||0 g||7 g||62 kcal|
|0.5 g||0.1 g||0 g||2 kcal|
|Beef, minced (ground), raw, grass-fed|
|0 g||21.5 g||25 g||318 kcal|
|Coleslaw Mix, average values|
|4.4 g||1.5 g||0 g||29 kcal|
|Coconut aminos (substitute to soy sauce)|
|0.8 g||0 g||0 g||4 kcal|
|Sriracha chili sauce, hot sauce|
|0.7 g||0 g||0 g||3 kcal|
|Lime juice, fresh|
|0.5 g||0 g||0 g||2 kcal|
|Salt, sea salt|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Pepper, black, spices|
|0.1 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Sesame oil, toasted|
|0 g||0 g||3.4 g||30 kcal|
|Onions, spring or scallions (includes tops and bulb), raw|
|0.5 g||0.2 g||0 g||3 kcal|
|0.2 g||0.3 g||0.7 g||9 kcal|
|Total per serving, about 225 g/ 8 oz|
|7.6 g||23.6 g||36.2 g||462 kcal|
Follow us 148.4k
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!