Is there anything better than a lovely bowl of just cooked, tender vegetables and juicy chicken, coated in a delicious sauce?
Yep. Adding kelp noodles to the mix.
Wow guys, just…wow! I had never even heard of kelp noodles until recently and was hesitant to say the least about trying them. I admit to being scarred for life buy the old Shiratake noodles with the distinct aroma, so I wasn’t really expecting these kelp noodles to be any different.
But they have no smell. NONE, I promise. They don’t really have a flavour either, but take on the taste of the sauce nicely. And they have the most divine mouth feel to them. They remind me a bit of rice vermicelli noodles, with a bit of crunch.
Anyway. If you’ve been missing noodles and on the fence about trying kelp noodles, then rest assured that you won’t be disappointed when you do.
Sign up for FREE and get:
- 3 free diet plans to help you kickstart
your diet, lose weight and get healthy
- Recipes, giveaways and exclusive
deals delivered directly to your inbox
- A chance to win the KetoDiet app
Nutritional values (per serving)
Net carbs8.3 grams
Calories from carbs 10%, protein 39%, fat 51%
Total carbs11.8 gramsFiber3.4 gramsSugars4.4 gramsSaturated fat4.4 gramsSodium336 mg(15% RDA)Magnesium70 mg(17% RDA)Potassium968 mg(48% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
- 500 grams chicken breast, skin off (1.1 lb)
- 1 head bok choy, sliced stems and leaves, separated (400 g/ 14.1 oz)
- 2 tbsp goose fat, or ghee, extra virgin olive oil, etc. (I like the depth of flavour that you get with the goose fat)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (70 g/ 2.5 oz)
- 1 cup sliced red bell pepper (150 g/ 5.3 oz)
- 3 medium spring onions (45 g/ 1.6 oz)
- 1 small red onion (60 g/ 2.1 oz)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth (360 ml/ 12 fl oz)
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos or tamari (30 ml)
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce or fish sauce (15 ml)
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar (15 ml)
- 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 1/2 tbsp fresh grated garlic
- 1 tsp arrowroot powder (9 g/ oz) - can substitute xanthan gum for lower carbs, if consumed
- 1 package kelp noodles (340 g/ 12 oz)
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (30 ml)
- Slice chicken breast into thin strips.
- Remove the leafy tops of the bok choy leaves and set aside. Slice the stems into thin slices. Cut the red onion into wedges and separate the layers.
- Spoon the goose fat into a fry pan and place over high heat. Quickly fry the chicken strips until browned. Remove chicken from pan and place aside.
- Combine chicken broth, coconut aminos, rice vinegar, oyster sauce, ginger, garlic and arrowroot powder together and whisk until well blended.
- Add red pepper, mushrooms, red onion and bok choy stems to the frying pan where you cooked the chicken and stir fry until just tender. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Pour sauce mixture into frying pan and cook over medium heat until thickened.
- Meanwhile, finely slice the bok choy leaves. Slice the spring onions on an angle for better presentation. Place in a bowl with the bok choy leaves.
- Remove kelp noodles from package, rinse well and cut to size if required.
- Once sauce is thickened, place the kelp noodles, chicken and the sir fried vegetables in the frying pan and toss to combine. Add the bok choy leaves and spring onions, remembering to retain a small amount of spring onion for garnish. Cook gently for about 5 minutes.
- Serve garnished with spring onion, olive oil and sesame seeds.
Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator for 3 days.
Ingredient nutritional breakdown (per serving)
|Chicken, breast (without skin, raw)|
|0 g||28.1 g||3.3 g||150 kcal|
|Bok choy (pak-choi) cabbage, fresh|
|1.2 g||1.5 g||0.2 g||13 kcal|
|0 g||0 g||6.5 g||59 kcal|
|Chicken stock (broth), chicken only, homemade|
|0 g||1.8 g||1.8 g||23 kcal|
|Coconut aminos (substitute to soy sauce)|
|0.5 g||0 g||0 g||2 kcal|
|0.3 g||0 g||0 g||1 kcal|
|Sauce, oyster, ready-to-serve|
|0.5 g||0.1 g||0 g||2 kcal|
|Ginger root, fresh|
|0.2 g||0 g||0 g||1 kcal|
|0.3 g||0.1 g||0 g||2 kcal|
|Arrowroot powder, thickening agent|
|1.9 g||0 g||0 g||8 kcal|
|Peppers, red bell, fresh|
|1.5 g||0.4 g||0.1 g||12 kcal|
|Mushrooms (white), fresh|
|0.4 g||0.5 g||0.1 g||4 kcal|
|Onion, red, fresh|
|1 g||0.2 g||0 g||6 kcal|
|Spring onion, scallion, green onion, fresh|
|0.5 g||0.2 g||0 g||4 kcal|
|Kelp noodles (seaweed noodles)|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||5 kcal|
|0.1 g||0.1 g||0.4 g||4 kcal|
|Olive oil, extra virgin|
|0 g||0 g||6.8 g||60 kcal|
|Total per serving|
|8.3 g||33 g||19.1 g||355 kcal|
- Keto Chicken Lo Mein
- Keto Chicken Lo Mein
- Naomi Sherman
- Keto Chicken Lo Mein
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!