Ditch the sugar and additive laden sports drinks and make your own keto-friendly beverage! This keto electrolyte drink is so good! Apart from providing electrolytes for those who are physically active, this sugar-free beverage is ideal for anyone following a keto diet.
It's based on my original Keto Electrolyte Drink and Electrolyte Aqua Fresca from my latest Beginner's KetoDiet Cookbook. Just 1 to 2 cups will help prevent keto-flu by restoring electrolyte balance during the initial phase of the ketogenic diet.
You can use any berries you like. I used blueberries, my favourite low-carb fruit! Blueberries have powerful antioxidant and antiaging effects due to polyphenols that help protect against the effects of ageing and oxidative stress. They are known as "the memory food" and are good for eye health. Blueberries can protect against free radical damage and reduce inflammation, the true cause of heart disease.
The only drawback is that unlike other berries, they are relatively high in carbs and you need to watch your serving size. Depending on your carb tolerance, have no more than 1/4 to 1/2 cup per serving. Wild blueberries are preferable as they have a lower carb count.
Substitutions and Tips
- Drink with meals (not on an empty stomach). Start with a cup per day and increase to no more than 2 cups per day to avoid stomach discomfort. Too much magnesium citrate causes loose stools so keep that in mind.
- Instead of potassium chloride, you can use lite salt or cream of tartar. To read more about potassium supplements, check out this post: The Importance of Potassium in Low-Carb Diets.
- Instead of Erythritol, you can use other healthy low-carb sweeteners from this list, or skip the sweetener altogether.
- If you don't like sweeteners, they can be omitted.
- Nutrition facts in blueberries are estimated and counted partially (80%) as part of the pulp and the peel are discarded.
Serving size cup, 240 ml/8 fl oz
Allergy information for Sugar-Free Blueberry & Lemon Electrolyte Drink
✔ Gluten free
✔ Dairy free
✔ Egg free
✔ Nut free
✔ Nightshade free
✔ Pork free
✔ Avocado free
✔ Coconut free
✔ Fish free
✔ Shellfish free
✔ Beef free
Nutritional values (per serving, cup, 240 ml/8 fl oz)
Net carbs4.9 grams
Calories from carbs 81%, protein 8%, fat 11%
Total carbs5.8 gramsFiber0.9 gramsSugars3 gramsSaturated fat0 gramsSodium105 mg(5% RDA)Magnesium180 mg(45% RDA)Potassium233 mg(12% EMR)
Ingredients (makes about 6 cups)
- 2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen (250 g/ 8.8 oz)
- 4 cups water (~ 1 l)
- 1/4 cup powdered Erythritol or Swerve (40 g/ 1.4 oz) - see note below
- 1/2 cup lemon juice (120 ml/ 4 fl oz)
- 1/2 tsp potassium chloride (see Tips below for alternatives)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp Natural Calm magnesium supplement (12 g/ 0.4 oz)
- Optional: 20-30 drops liquid Stevia or to taste
- lemon slices from 1 lemon, to serve
- ice to serve
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!