These juicy low-carb & keto burgers have a cheesy surprise hidden inside and are topped with sweet caramelised onion. They're so good, definitely one of the best burgers I've had! After all, who can say no to melty cheese inside a luscious burger? :-)
I like to serve mine with a bowl of crispy greens and low-carb vegetables and drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and a dash of balsamic vinegar.
If you often skip meals and only eat twice a day like I do, this is the ideal meal for intermittent fasting. It's relatively high in protein and calories so it will keep you full for longer.
Nutritional values (per serving)
|of which Saturated||33.6||grams|
|Magnesium||42||mg (11% RDA)|
|Potassium||667||mg (33% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (3%), protein (23%), fat (74%)
Ingredients (makes 2 large servings)
- 400 g ground beef (14.1 oz)
- 2 pieces goat cheese (130 g/ 4.5 oz) - see note below
- 2 tbsp ghee or duck fat (30 g/ 1.1 oz), plus more for burgers
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced (150 g/ 5.3 oz)
- 1 tbsp Sukrin Gold brown sugar substitute or Erythritol or Swerve (10 g/ 0.4 oz)
- pinch of sea salt or pink Himalayan salt
Note: You can use two 65 g (2.3 oz) pieces of goat cheese, or use one piece cut widthwise. Brie goat cheese and soft goat cheese work best in this recipe.
- Place the goat cheese in the freezer for 30 minutes (This is optional but will prevent the cheese from oozing out while the burgers are cooking). Remove the ground beef from the fridge.
- Peel and slice the onion. Grease a pan with 2 tablespoons of ghee and add the onion. Cook on medium-low for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until caramelised.
- Add the brown sugar substitute and stir in. Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring to prevent burning, and then take off the heat. Set aside.
- While the onion is cooking, preheat the oven to 200 C/ 400 F. Remove the cheese from the freezer. Using your hands, create two 200 g (7.1 oz) patties. Place a piece of cheese in the middle of each patty, and then wrap the meat around them. Make sure the cheese is covered so it doesn't ooze out while cooking.
- Grease an ovenproof skillet with about a tablespoon of ghee. Add the burgers and cook on high for a minute on each side and season with salt.
- Place the skillet into the oven and bake for 7-8 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and let the burgers rest for 5 minutes.
- Top the burgers with the caramelised onion, and serve with a big bowl of vegetable salad!
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!