I wondered how a low carb risotto was going to work. Fearing that it may indeed turn into a bowl of brown slop but I needn’t have been worried. I hit the jackpot with this cauliflower rice risotto.
Autumn flavours of roasted pumpkin, buttery mushrooms and fragrant thyme and cuddled up in a creamy sauce made from a concentrated stock to pack in the flavour. It’s really is delicious.
If you prefer to add some meat, a little chorizo goes exceptionally well with it.
Nutritional values (per serving)
|of which Saturated||9.5||grams|
|Magnesium||91||mg (28% RDA)|
|Potassium||934||mg (47% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (13%), protein (17%), fat (70%)
Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
- 2 cups diced pumpkin (220 g/ 7.8 oz)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (30 ml/ 1 fl oz)
- 800 ml chicken stock, chicken bone broth or vegetable stock (about 3 ½ cups)
- 1 ½ garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small yellow onion (60 g/ 2.1 oz)
- florets from 1 medium cauliflower (480 g/ 17 oz)
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced (60 g/ 2.1 oz) - I used shiitake
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp cream (45 ml/ 1.5 fl oz)
- 6 sprigs of fresh thyme
- ¼ tsp sea salt, or to taste
- ¼ tsp cracked black pepper
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds (32 g/ 1.1 oz)
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese (30 g/ 1.1 oz)
- Preheat the oven to 190 C/ 375 F (fan assisted). Peel the pumpkin, remove the seeds and chop into small chunks (2 cm/ ¾ inch). Place on a baking tray and toss with the oil and a pinch of salt. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes until soft.
- Add the stock to a pan and simmer on a medium heat for 20 minutes until the volume reduces to about 500 ml/ 2 cups (this concentrates the stock and really adds to the flavour.)
- Blitz the cauliflower in a high speed food processor until it resembles a rice consistency.
- Peel and finely dice the onion. Melt 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan. Fry the onion on a low/ medium heat for 3 minutes until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and cauliflower rice and fry for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add the broth, salt, pepper, thyme and simmer on a medium heat until all the stock is absorbed.
- Place the seeds on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 5-6 minutes until golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Heat the butter in a pan and fry the mushrooms on a low/ medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir through the mushrooms, cream, pumpkin and half of the cheese. Taste and add more seasoning if required. Spoon the Pumpkin, Mushroom and Thyme Cauliflower Rice Risotto
into bowls and top with pumpkin seeds, the remaining cheese and a sprinkling of fresh thyme leaves.
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!