Sometimes you just need to sit down with a large bowl of creamy sweet ice cream. Luckily this Keto Chocolate Ice Cream with a Salted Caramel Swirl is the perfect combo of sweet + salty with none of the guilt from indulging. While this may look complicated I promise that it’s as easy as can be. For the ice cream all you have to do is blend the ingredients together in a blender, then pour into an ice cream maker, how easy is that?
Tips for blenders & ice cream makers: Vitamix Blender and Cuisinart ice cream maker with built-in freezer.
Budget-friendly options: Ninja Blender and this Cuisinart ice cream maker.
For the caramel you’ll start out by cooking the water and Swerve until the Swerve turns golden. Then you’ll whisk in the butter, cream, vanilla, and salt for one luscious caramel sauce. I may have eaten some with a spoon before swirling the rest into the ice cream. This may just become your go-to, easy as pie (really though, who ever thought making pie was easy?) ice cream recipe.
Nutritional values (per serving, about ¾ cup)
|of which Saturated||24.2||grams|
|Magnesium||86||mg (21% RDA)|
|Potassium||349||mg (17% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (8%), protein (6%), fat (86%)
Ingredients (makes 8 servings)
Chocolate Ice Cream:
- 2 tbsp water (30 ml)
- ½ cup granulated Swerve or Erythritol (100 g/ 3.5 oz)
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter (28 g/ 1 oz)
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream (120 ml/ 4 fl oz)
- 1 tsp sugar-free vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
Notes: Use room temperature coconut milk (not chilled) to allow the ingredients to combine while blending. Instead of granulated sweetener, you can use an equivalent amount of powdered sweetener (will help you get a smooth texture). If you cannot have dairy or follow a paleo approach, use my homemade keto & paleo caramel sauce.
- Start by making the caramel. In a medium sized pot combine the water and Swerve. Set over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Continue to simmer for 5-7 minutes until it turns golden and has reduced. Whisk in the butter, cream, vanilla, and salt. If it’s too thin keep simmering until it is slightly thick. Note: it will thicken as it cools as well.
- For the ice cream, combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker ...
- ... and churn according to the manufacturer's directions.
- Once it’s done churning pour into a quart size container and swirl in the caramel using a knife to swirl it through the layers. Freeze 3-4 hours.
- Before serving let the ice cream sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!