Perfect for summer grilling this keto friendly Jerk Chicken is made low-carb by simply leaving out the traditional brown sugar that makes its way into the traditional seasoning. Don’t worry though, this Jerk Chicken is still packed with flavor from the spicy rub. You have a few options on how you would like to cook the chicken too!
My favorite way is over a charcoal grill but you can also use a grill pan on the stove, a regular propane grill, or even the oven with a few minutes under the broiler at the end to crisp up the skin and get that classic char that Jerk Chicken is famous for.
I like to serve this with cauliflower rice and some grilled vegetables for a complete meal. If you’re short on time you can switch out the bone-in chicken for chicken thighs since they’ll cook a lot faster. If you have the time I suggest still marinating the chicken for at least 30 minutes but you can even marinate overnight if you’d like.
Nutritional values (per serving)
|of which Saturated||7.6||grams|
|Magnesium||43||mg (11% RDA)|
|Potassium||427||mg (21% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (4%), protein (30%), fat (66%)
Ingredients (makes 6 servings)
- 3.5 lbs bone-in chicken pieces (1.6 kg) - will yield about 60% meat, 960 g/ 2.1 lbs meat
- 4 large garlic cloves (20 g/ 0.7 oz)
- 1” piece fresh ginger (10 g/ 0.4 oz)
- 3 green onions (60 g/ 2.1 oz)
- 1 habanero pepper (4 g/ 0.1 oz)
- 2 tbsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup lime juice (60 ml/ 2 fl oz)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (30 ml)
- lime wedges, for serving
- Optional: serve with cauli-rice and grilled low-carb vegetables
- Place all ingredients except for the chicken and lime wedges in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Pat the chicken dry and place in a single layer in a large baking dish. Spread the spice mixture evenly over the chicken. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes but up to overnight.
- When ready to cook remove the chicken from the refrigerator and either preheat the oven to 175 C/ 350 F or preheat your grill or grill pan to medium-high.
- If baking bake for 1 hour, and then broil for 5-10 minutes to char. If grilling, grill for 45-50 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through (74 C/ 165 F) and charred in multiple places. You’ll want to flip occasionally. Let rest 10 minutes after cooking. Serve with lime wedges and cauli-rice.
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!