Deviled eggs stuffed with cheddar cheese, crispy bacon, and jalapeño pepper make a delicious keto appetiser. I make deviled eggs almost every week and that's why I always keep boiled eggs in the fridge.
Let's start with the basics - hard boiling eggs. To my surprise, not even I knew how to cook eggs perfectly, until recently. I've tried "regular" boiling, steaming, and even oven baking. Eventually, I realised that the best way to get perfectly cooked eggs is to slowly boil them in hot water and immediately cool them down in ice water. If you ever cooked eggs for too long, you must have noticed an unsightly green layer around the egg yolks (see step 2 in this recipe) - that's very common with a regular boiling method.
Follow us 11.9k
Nutritional values (per serving, 2 deviled eggs)
|of which Saturated||4.9||grams|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (2%), protein (23%), fat (75%).
Ingredients (makes 4 servings, 8 deviled eggs)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise (30 g/ 1.1 oz) - you can make your own
- ⅓ cup grated cheddar cheese (38 g/ 1.3 oz)
- 2 slices crispy bacon, crumbled (20 g/ 0.7 oz)
- 1 jalapeño pepper, sliced (14 g/ 0.5 oz)
- salt and pepper to taste
- cilantro for garnish
- Place 4 large eggs in a pot and fill with water covering them by an inch. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Once the water starts boiling, turn off the heat and cover with a lid. Remove from the burner and keep the eggs covered in the pot for 13 minutes (10 minutes for medium sized eggs, 15 minutes for extra large eggs).
- When done, transfer to a bowl filled with ice water and let them sit for 5 minutes.
- To peel, remove from the ice water and crack each egg several times on the kitchen surface. Gently peel off the shells.
Fresh eggs don't peel well. It's better if you use eggs that you bought 7-10 days before cooking.
- Cut the eggs in half and carefully - without breaking the egg whites - spoon the egg yolks into a bowl.
Hard-boiled eggs can be stored in the fridge for up to a week.
- Add the mayonnaise, grated cheddar, crumbled bacon and jalapeño pepper. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix until well combined using a fork.
- Use a spoon or a small cookie scoop to fill in the egg white halves with the egg yolk mixture.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve or place in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!