This recipe is from the Cook's Illustrated Meat Book which is a must-have for all meat lovers. Quality steaks are expensive and you want to make sure that you get the best out of them. Apart from step-by-step guides to the perfect steak, there are more than 400 delicious recipes for cooking all sorts of meat cuts. Several recipes are keto-friendly and most can be adapted to a healthy ketogenic lifestyle.
Reverse Pan-Seared Steak is without any doubt my favourite recipe from this book. Although reverse pan-searing is not the only way to cook steak, it works best for thick cuts. To achieve evenly cooked steaks with a nice crust, a rare or medium-rare centre and without a wide band of grey dry meat on the outside, you have to use reverse-searing.
Nutritional values (per serving)
|of which Saturated||17||grams|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (0%), protein (32%), fat (68%)
Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
- 2 large boneless strip or ribeye or filet mignon steaks, 1 ½ - 1 ¾ inch / 4 - 4 ½ cm thick (800 g/ 1.76 lb)
- salt and pepper to taste (I like pink Himalayan salt)
- 1-2 tbsp ghee for frying
- Optional: serve with Gremolata or your favourite steak sauce
If your steak is thinner than 1 ½ inch, do not use the reverse-searing method as it will overcook. Instead, use the this simple pan-searing method.
Instructions (Reverse-Seared Method)
- Preheat the oven to 135 C / 275 F. Remove the steaks from the fridge. Pat the steaks dry using a paper towel. Cut each steak in half vertically to create four evenly sized steaks. Season the steaks with salt and pepper. Press the sides of the steaks in until uniform 1 ½ inches (4 cm) thick.
- Place the steaks on a wire rack set in rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminium foil.
- Place in the oven. Cook for 20-25 minutes until meat registers 32-35 C / 90-95 F (for rare to medium-rare) - I like mine rare - ...
- ... or 25-30 minutes until meat registers 38-40 C / 100-105 F (for medium). If using filet mignon steaks, increase the cooking time by about 5 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet greased with ghee over a high heat. Cook for 1 ½ - 2 minutes on one side, lifting once halfway through cooking to redistribute fat underneath each steak. Using tongs, turn and cook until well browned on the second side for 2 - 2 ½ minutes.
It is essential to sear the steaks briefly in order to keep the meat directly under the crust from turning grey.
- Transfer all the steaks to a clean wire rack and reduce the heat under the pan to medium. Holding two steaks at a time together, return to the pan and sear on all sides until browned, for about 1 ½ minutes.
- Repeat for the remaining two steaks. Transfer the steaks onto a wire rack, loosely cover with a foil and let them rest for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, prepare your favourite steak sauce or try with Gremolata, Hollandaise, Ranch Dressing, Marinara Sauce or Keto Cheese Sauce.
Serve with Creamy Keto Mash or Greek Salad!
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!