This recipe is another low-carb essential for those following a healthy ketogenic diet. I've already shared a few paleo crusts but this one is also egg-free and can be used for both sweet and savoury meals. It's a bit more difficult to work with but it's definitely worth the effort. It's tastier and more flaky (but also more fragile) compared to my other recipes. I used psyllium powder, glucomannan powder and water to substitute the binding effect of eggs.
Another egg-free option is be to use some flax meal - it has proven to be an essential ingredient in my keto grain-free tortillas. Thats why I included another egg-free version in this recipe.
Nutritional values (per serving, ⅛ pie crust, Recipe 1 / Recipe 2)
|Total Carbs||5.3 / 5||grams|
|Fiber||3.6 / 3.7||grams|
|Net Carbs||1.7 / 1.3||grams|
|Protein||3.4 / 3.9||grams|
|Fat||12.9 / 15||grams|
|of which Saturated||4.7 / 4.4||grams|
|Energy (calories)||140 / 158||kcal|
|Magnesium||36 / 58||mg (9% / 15%)|
|Potassium||103 / 138||mg (5% / 7%)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (5%), protein (10%), fat (85%).
Ingredients (makes 1 large / 8 small pie crusts)
For best results, use a kitchen scale for measuring all the dry ingredients. Using just cups may not be enough to achieve best results, especially in baked goods. Weights per cups and tablespoons may vary depending on the product/ brand. This recipe makes 8 servings - 8 small pie crusts or one regular pie crust.
- Mix all the dry ingredients - the almond flour, coconut flour, psyllium powder, glucomannan powder and salt (Recipe 1). Add the butter cut in pieces.
- Using your hands, combine the dry ingredients with the butter. Add water and mix until well combined.
- Place the dough in a plastic wrap and flatten using your hands. Place in the fridge for 30-60 minutes. Preheat the oven to 175 C / 350 F.
Method 1: rolling. Remove the dough from the fridge and roll out (I used a nonstick silicone rolling pin) till the dough is about the size of a pie pan - I used a non-stick pan with a removable bottom. Because there are no eggs in this recipe, the dough will be very fragile so you'll have to be careful not to tear it apart.
Method 2: press down. Alternatively, place the dough directly into a non-stick pan with a removable bottom and press up the sides using your fingers to create a "bowl" shape. Use a dough roller or wet your hands if needed. Ideally, use a baking sheet as lining for the bottom to ensure that the crust doesn't get stuck to it.
- Place baking paper on top and use ceramic baking beans to weight the dough down. You will need them to prevent the dough from rising and creating air bubbles, especially if you are making a large pie. Place in the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- When done, remove from the oven. Remove the baking paper with the ceramic beans. If the center of the pie seems too moist, place back in the preheated oven (switched off) just to dry out. Fill with your favourite filling (keto lemon curd, whipped cream, or any savoury filling like pork and eggs or chicken). If not using straight away, let the pie crust cool down. Once chilled, store in an airtight container and keep at room temperature.
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!