Hello new favourite breakfast! These low-carb sauerkraut veggie fritters are not only taste bud tango delicious, they’re also so good for your gut health.
The sauerkraut is a prebiotic which means it provides a happier environment for the friendly bacteria in your gut to grow. You can try our classic sauerkraut recipe here or even use our pretty pink sauerkraut recipe. If you’re buying one, make sure you get fresh sauerkraut from the chilled fridges without sugar and preservatives.
These breakfast fritters are not just low in carbs — they are high in micronutrients and will help balance your blood sugar levels and energy for the whole day. Ready in just 20 minutes, they are perfect for when you don’t have much time. Simply make up a batch and they store well in the fridge for a few days. That's keto meal prep perfection!
Follow us 36.6k
Serving size 2 fritters
Allergy information for Low-Carb Sauerkraut Veggie Fritters
✔ Gluten free
✔ Dairy free
✔ Nut free
✔ Nightshade free
✔ Pork free
✔ Avocado free
✔ Coconut free
✔ Fish free
✔ Shellfish free
✔ Beef free
Nutritional values (per serving, 2 fritters)
Net carbs5.5 grams
Calories from carbs 19%, protein 18%, fat 63%
Total carbs7.9 gramsFiber2.4 gramsSugars3.8 gramsSaturated fat4 gramsSodium428 mg(19% RDA)Magnesium18 mg(5% RDA)Potassium331 mg(17% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 12 fritters)
- 1/2 medium celeriac, grated (185 g/ 6.5 oz)
- 1 large carrot, grated (85 g/ 3 oz)
- 1 large zucchini, grated (285 g/ 10 oz)
- 1 cup drained sauerkraut (140 g/ 5 oz)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced (70 g/ 2.5 oz)
- chilli flakes or any dried herbs, to taste
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 4 medium eggs
- 2 tbsp butter, ghee or duck fat, for cooking
- Place the celeriac and carrot in a bowl of water with a pinch of salt. Leave to soak for 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a muslin cloth along with the zucchini and sauerkraut.
- Squeeze out the water and sauerkraut juice. Discard the liquid.
- Place the drained vegetables in a bowl, mix with the eggs, seasoning and chilli flakes.
- Mix to combine.
- Heat a little butter in a pan (about 1/2 tbsp) per 3 fritters (about 70 g/ 2.5 oz each fritter). Fry on a low-medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes. Ensure the heat isn’t too high so they don’t burn. Flip and cook for a further 5 to 6 minutes on the other side.
- Repeat until all the Low-carb Sauerkraut Fritters are cooked.
- Option to serve with watercress, more sauerkraut, maybe some avocado or how about crispy bacon or smoked salmon and cream cheese? Delicious! Taste best served hot, but can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Ingredient nutritional breakdown (per serving, 2 fritters)
|Celery roots, fresh (celeriac)|
|2.2 g||0.6 g||0 g||12 kcal|
|1 g||0.1 g||0 g||6 kcal|
|Zucchini (summer squash, courgette)|
|1 g||0.6 g||0.2 g||8 kcal|
|Sauerkraut, solids only (fermented cabbage)|
|0.3 g||0.2 g||0 g||4 kcal|
|Onion, brown (yellow), raw|
|0.7 g||0.1 g||0 g||4 kcal|
|Peppers, chile (chili), flaked and dried, spices|
|0.1 g||0 g||0 g||1 kcal|
|Salt, sea salt|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Egg, whole, fresh, raw (free-range or organic eggs)|
|0.2 g||3.7 g||2.8 g||42 kcal|
|0 g||0 g||5 g||45 kcal|
|Total per serving, 2 fritters|
|5.5 g||5.4 g||8.1 g||123 kcal|
Follow us 148.4k
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!