There’s nothing like a good crumble in autumn to make you feel all snuggly and at home!
And because I believe you should be able to enjoy all your favourites whilst following a keto diet, I made my favourite faux apple and blackberry crumble using zucchini for apple and a grain free crumble topping. I know zucchini sounds bonkers right but it totally works!
I love to serve this low-carb Apple and Blackberry Crumble with Martina’s No Churn Vanilla Ice Cream but Naomi’s Crème Anglaise would be absolutely delicious with it too.
What do you think… ice cream, crème Anglaise or good old Greek yoghurt? I’m torn but I know nights with a bowl of this and my slouch pants is the best date night in the world!
Allergy information for Low-Carb Blackberry & Apple Crumble
✔ Gluten free
✔ Dairy free
✔ Egg free
✔ Nightshade free
✔ Pork free
✔ Avocado free
✔ Coconut free
✔ Fish free
✔ Shellfish free
✔ Beef free
- Recipe can be made dairy-free or coconut-free.
Nutritional values (per serving)
Net carbs7.2 grams
Calories from carbs 12%, protein 12%, fat 76%
Total carbs13.1 gramsFiber5.9 gramsSugars6.2 gramsSaturated fat4.7 gramsSodium14 mg(1% RDA)Magnesium93 mg(23% RDA)Potassium550 mg(27% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 6 servings)
- 4 medium zucchini, center with seeds removed (680 g/ 1.5 lb) - about 600 g/ 1.3 lb after peel and seeds removed
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries (215 g/ 7.6 oz)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup powdered Erythritol or Swerve (55 g/ 1.9 oz)
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
To serve (optional):
- Preheat the oven to 160 °C/ 320 °F (fan assisted), or 180 °C/ 355 °F (conventional). Chop the ends off the zucchini. Peel, slice in half lengthways and scoop out the seeds using a melon baller or teaspoon.
- Chop into 1/2 cm (0.2 inch) thick slices. Add the sliced zucchini to a pan of boiling water and simmer on a medium heat for 2 – 3 minutes until el-dente. Drain the water, place the cooked zucchini onto kitchen paper and pat dry. Place into your serving dish.
- Add the blackberries, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon juice, erythritol, cream of tartar and carefully mix until combined. (Cream of tartar can be omitted although it's highly recommended. Together with the spices it transforms the flavour of zucchini so they taste almost like apples. It also adds a)
- In a clean bowl mix the almond flour, vanilla and optional sweetener for the keto crumble topping. Rub through the butter with your hands until it forms a fine crumb.
- Place the low-carb ‘apple’ and blackberry filling in a 23 cm (9-inch) skillet. Sprinkle the crumble mix on top of the filling and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes, until golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.
- Top with No-Churn Vanilla Ice Cream, Crème Anglaise, yogurt, whipped cream or coconut cream or coconut yoghurt for dairy-free.
- Store in a fridge for up to 3 days, or in the freezer without the topping for up to 2 months.
Ingredient nutritional breakdown (per serving)
|Zucchini (summer squash, courgette)|
|2.1 g||1.2 g||0.3 g||17 kcal|
|1.6 g||0.5 g||0.2 g||15 kcal|
|0.2 g||0 g||0 g||2 kcal|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Lemon juice, fresh|
|0.3 g||0 g||0 g||1 kcal|
|Erythritol (natural low-carb sweetener)|
|0.6 g||0 g||0 g||2 kcal|
|Cream of tartar, raising agent|
|0.2 g||0 g||0 g||1 kcal|
|Almond flour (blanched ground almonds, almond meal)|
|2.2 g||5.4 g||13.1 g||148 kcal|
|Butter, unsalted, grass-fed|
|0 g||0.1 g||5.8 g||51 kcal|
|Vanilla extract, powder (vanilla bean)|
|0.1 g||0 g||0 g||2 kcal|
|Total per serving|
|7.2 g||7.2 g||19.4 g||239 kcal|
Follow us 148.4k
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!