This low-carb roasted rhubarb is a super simple treat you can make to serve alongside whipped cream, sour cream, creme fraiche or even a scoop of this Vanilla Keto Ice Cream!
Although we're using forced rhubarb, you can use field-grown rhubarb too. The pretty pink color is the result of growing the rhubarb in warm sheds with no natural light. Apart from the color, forced rhubarb is not that different from field-grown rhubarb although it tends to be sweeter, more delicate and more tender.
Forced rhubarb, which is pink, is in season between January and March, and field-grown rhubarb, which is red and green, is then available from April and until September, sometimes even longer.
What we love about this tangy fruit is that it's ultra low in carbs. In fact, rhubarb contains less carbs than berries! Just bake it until tender, with some ginger, vanilla and low-carb sweetener. Absolutely delicious!
Follow us 148.4k
Serving size about 6 pieces
Allergy information for Easy Low-Carb Roasted Rhubarb
✔ Gluten free
✔ Dairy free
✔ Egg free
✔ Nut free
✔ Nightshade free
✔ Pork free
✔ Avocado free
✔ Coconut free
✔ Fish free
✔ Shellfish free
✔ Beef free
Nutritional values (per serving, about 6 pieces)
Net carbs4 grams
Calories from carbs 71%, protein 19%, fat 10%
Total carbs6.1 gramsFiber2.1 gramsSugars1.3 gramsSaturated fat0.1 gramsSodium5 mg(0% RDA)Magnesium14 mg(4% RDA)Potassium341 mg(17% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 6 servings)
- 700 g rhubarb, forced for pink or field-grown (1.5 lbs)
- 1/3 cup granulated Allulose (67 g/ 2.4 oz)
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 whole vanilla pod or 1/2 tsp vanilla bean powder
- Optional to serve: whipped cream, sour cream, creme fraiche, yogurt or coconut yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C/ 355 °F (fan assisted), or 200 °C/ 400 °F (conventional). Cut the rhubarb into finger-sized pieces. Using a sharp knife, cut the vanilla pod lengthwise and scrape the tiny seeds out.
- Place in a baking tray and add the grated ginger, vanilla seeds and vanilla pod. Evenly sprinkle with Allulose.
Note: You can use other sweeteners such as Erythritol or Swerve. allulose is the best option as it will make the sauce more syrupy without any aftertaste.
- Cover with a foil, place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, shake to combine and cover in the syrup. Remove the foil and return into the oven to bake for another 5 to 8 minutes. The rhubarb should feel tender, not mushy, and it should still keep its shape.
- Place the rhubarb on a plate with a tablespoon of syrup drizzled on top. Serve hot or cold with whipped cream, sour cream, creme fraiche, yogurt, coconut yogurt or some keto ice cream. To store, let it cool down, transfer to a smaller container, seal and refrigerate for up to a week.
Ingredient nutritional breakdown (per serving, about 6 pieces)
Follow us 148.4k
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!