These keto shortbread cookies are buttery and crunchy, just like the real deal but with none of the sugar and carbs.
They are great on their own, with a cup of coffee, tea, hot chocolate or keto mocha. They also make the perfect base for other desserts and can be used as a cheesecake crust or cookie base in these Keto Twix Bars!
How To Make Keto Shortbread Cookies
To make keto shortbread cookies, you will start by creaming the butter with low-carb sweetener and vanilla. You'll then add the almond flour combined with xanthan gum and salt. Once thick and sticky cookie dough is formed, shape into a long log. Chill to set and then slice into cookies.
To make these cookies crunchy and keep them pale just like traditional shortbread, we will be baking them on a low temperature setting for about 45 minutes. It may seem too low but remember, we are using nut flour which tends to brown a lot faster and contains more fat so we do need low temperature to achieve the best results.
What You Need to Make Keto Shortbread Cookies
Making keto shortbread cookies is really easy! All you need is just six ingredients.
- Butter or palm shortening (sustainable sources) for a dairy-free option.
- Low-carb sweetener. To keep these keto shortbread cookies nice and crunchy, make sure to use Erythritol or Erythritol-based sweetener such as Swerve. When making low-carb shortbread cookies, it's really important that you avoid using Allulose. As I tested these myself with Allulose, such cookies would be soft and chewy which you don't want in a shortbread. They are delicious if you want to make chewy cookies but not for a shortbread.
- Vanilla extract or vanilla bean powder for extra flavor.
- Almond flour is the best options for crispy shortbread cookies. Do not use coconut flour as the cookies wouldn't crisp up. For a nut-free option you could try using ground sunflower seeds which typically work just as well as almond flour and can be used in the same ratio as almond flour.
- Xanthan gum will improve the texture of these shortbread cookies as it will replace the missing gluten and eggs. Alternatively, you could swap xanthan gum with twice as much of glucomannan powder which will have similar effects. Xanthan gum can also be skipped although the raw dough may be harder to work with and the cookies will be crumblier.
- Sea salt is a flavor enhancer that should be included in every cookie recipe! Without a good pinch of sea salt the flavors fall flat and the sweetness can sometimes be overpowering.
Follow us 148.4k
Serving size 1 cookie
Allergy information for Classic Keto Shortbread Cookies
✔ Gluten free
✔ Egg free
✔ Nightshade free
✔ Pork free
✔ Avocado free
✔ Coconut free
✔ Fish free
✔ Shellfish free
✔ Beef free
Nutritional values (per serving, 1 cookie)
Net carbs1.3 grams
Calories from carbs 5%, protein 9%, fat 86%
Total carbs2.4 gramsFiber1.1 gramsSugars0.9 gramsSaturated fat3.5 gramsSodium14 mg(1% RDA)Magnesium29 mg(7% RDA)Potassium72 mg(4% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 14 cookies)
- Prepare all the ingredients. Cut the butter into pieces and let it come to room temperature. In a bowl mix the almond flour with xanthan gum and salt.
- Place the butter in a bowl and add the granulated sweetener and vanilla extract. Using an electric mixer (or a stand mixer), process until well combined.
- Slowly add the almond flour while beating and process until thick and sticky cookie dough is formed.
- Using your hands, form into a big ball. Transfer onto a piece of cling film and form into a log, about 25 cm (10 inch) long, wrapping it all around. Transfer into the freezer for 20 to 30 minutes, or place in the fridge for one or two hours, until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 130 °C/ 265 °F (fan assisted), or 150 °C/ 300 °F (conventional). Remove the dough from the freezer and cut into 14 pieces, each about 1 1/2 — 2 cm (1/2 — 3/4 inch) thick.
- Transfer the cookie slices onto a tray lined with parchment paper. Make sure to leave at least 2 cm (1 inch) between the cookies.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, turning the tray (not the cookies as they are fragile) once to ensure even baking. We are baking these on low and slow so the cookies should only be lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool down completely before removing them from the tray. As the cookies cool, they will crisp up even more.
- Serve or use just like shortbread cookies. To keep these cookies fresh and crispy, store them at room temperature in a sealed container for up to 2 weeks. For longer storage freeze for up to 3 months.
Ingredient nutritional breakdown (per serving, 1 cookie)
Follow us 148.4k
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!