It's always good to have some tender meat ready for making low-carb meals. Once cooked, you can keep it in the fridge and use straight away.
Slow-cooked lamb is great when served on top of fresh crunchy lettuce (6.1 g net carbs), omelet (3.4 g net carbs) or sweet pepper (7 g net carbs). So versatile!
Serving size about 170 g/ 6 oz cooked meat
Allergy information for Low-Carb Slow Roasted Leg of Lamb
✔ Gluten free
✔ Dairy free
✔ Egg free
✔ Nut free
✔ Nightshade free
✔ Pork free
✔ Avocado free
✔ Coconut free
✔ Fish free
✔ Shellfish free
Nutritional values (per serving, about 170 g/ 6 oz cooked meat)
Net carbs4 grams
Calories from carbs 4%, protein 33%, fat 63%
Total carbs5 gramsFiber0.9 gramsSugars3 gramsSaturated fat12.2 gramsSodium333 mg(14% RDA)Magnesium47 mg(12% RDA)Potassium651 mg(33% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 6 servings)
- 1 lamb leg, whole (~ 2 kg / 4.4 lb) - this will yield about 50% cooked meat
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (60 ml/ 2 fl oz) - avoid sweet syrupy types of balsamic
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar or Homemade Fruit Vinegar (60 ml/ 2 fl oz)
- 4 cloves black aged garlic or fresh garlic
- 1-2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, or to taste
- 2-3 cups water
- 4 heads small lettuce to serve (400 g/ 14.2 oz)
- Preheat the oven to 150 °C/ 300 °F (fan assisted), or 170 °C/ 340 °F (conventional). Peel the garlic and slice it into smaller pieces. Black garlic is aged white garlic and you can find it in most large grocery stores. It's sweet and has similar taste like balsamic vinegar. If you can't find black garlic, use freshly sliced white garlic.
- Place the lamb leg into a baking dish. Add balsamic vinegar, fruit vinegar, sliced garlic and rosemary. Season with salt and add water. Cover with a lid and place the lamb in the oven for about 2 hours. The timing is simple. You should add at least 30 minutes for every 500 g/ 1.1 lb/ of lamb leg.
- After 2 hours, take the lid off, baste with the vinegar juices, and increase the temperature to 200 °C/ 400 °F (fan assisted), or 220 °C/ 425 °F (conventional). Cook for another 30-45 minutes, basting with the juicesone or twice again.
- When done, carefully remove from the oven and let it cool down for a few minutes. When the meat is still warm, shred it with a fork. Pour the meat sauce over the shredded meat. Place it back in the oven if it needs reheating.
- Separate the lettuce leaves. Wash and place them into a salad spinner or simply tap off the excess water using a paper towel. Top with the shredded meat mixture. The cooked meat can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Ingredient nutritional breakdown (per serving, about 170 g/ 6 oz cooked meat)
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!