This winter inspired one-tray meal is full of flavour yet low in carbs. The sweetness from the pumpkin works really well with the spicy chorizo, salty feta and rosemary.
Winter squash belongs to a group of vegetables people tend to avoid when following a ketogenic diet. But pumpkin can actually be a delicious and healthy addition to your low-carb diet, as long as you eat it in moderation.
Besides, you don't need to follow an ultra low carb approach or aim for high ketone levels to experience the health benefits of low-carb eating. Different people have different carb tolerance and that's what you need to consider when deciding on the level of carboydrate restriction.
Nutritional values (per serving)
|of which Saturated||19.2||grams|
|Magnesium||81||mg (20% RDA)|
|Potassium||864||mg (43% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (10%), protein (16%), fat (74%)
Ingredients (makes 6 servings)
- 900 g pumpkin such as delicata or hokkaido, sliced (1 ½ lb)
- ¼ cup melted ghee or duck fat (60 ml/ 2 fl oz)
- ½ tsp dried rosemary or ½ tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 400 g gluten-free Italian-style sausage, sliced (14.2 oz)
- 200 g Mexican chorizo sausage, sliced (7.1 oz) - you can substitute it with Spanish chorizo
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese (150 g/ 5.3 oz)
- Preheat the oven to 200 C/ 400 F. Use the tip of a chef's knife to break through the skin in the middle part and push the blade down until cut through. Using a spoon, scoop out the seeds. If you're using delicata or hokkaido, they won't require peeling.
- Cut the pumpkin into about 1 cm (½ inch) slices and place on a baking sheet. Drizzle the ghee all over the pumpkin slices. Sprinkle with rosemary and season with salt and pepper. Place the pumpkin in the oven and bake for about 10 minutes. Mix half way through using a spatula.
- Slice the sausages.
- After 10 minutes, add the sausages to the tray. Place back in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and add the crumbled feta. Place back in the oven for another 5 minutes.
- When done, remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack for 5 minutes before serving. Serve or let it cool down and store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!