Looking for a crowd pleasing breakfast that’s super easy to make? This keto zucchini (courgettes in the UK) and goats cheese breakfast slice will satisfy any hungry rabble.
The cute courgette and Parma ham layered top makes it super pretty too. I love to serve this for breakfast or a lazy brunch on a Sunday. It’s great cold too so any left overs can be popped in the fridge and enjoyed as a snack during the day.
Nutritional values (per serving, 1 slice)
|of which Saturated||5.7||grams|
|Magnesium||79||mg (20% RDA)|
|Potassium||574||mg (29% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (9%), protein (21%), fat (70%)
Ingredients (makes 6 servings)
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped (70 g/ 2.5 oz)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp ghee or virgin coconut oil
- 3 large zucchini (650 g/ 1.4 lb), grated + 1 medium zucchini for the topping (150 g/ 5.3 oz)
- ¼ cup soft goats cheese (60 g/ 2.1 oz)
- small bunch kale, stems removed (65 g/ 2.3 oz)
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- 3 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 heaped tbsp Homemade Marinara Sauce (30 g/ 1.1 oz)
- ⅛ tsp sea salt or pink Himalayan salt
- ¼ tsp cracked black pepper
- 4 medium eggs
- 5 slices Parma ham (75 g/ 2.7 oz)
- 1 cup almond flour (100 g/ 3.5 oz)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus 1 tsp for greasing
- Preheat the oven to 190 C/ 375 F (fan assisted). Grate the zucchini. Place in a new bowl and heat in the microwave for 5 minutes on high. Remove from the microwave and allow to cool. Place the grated zucchini in a muslin cloth and squeeze out the excess water.
- Peel the shallot and garlic. Dice fine. Keep separate. Heat 1 tablespoon of ghee in a sauce pan on a medium/ low heat. Add the chopped onion and fry for 1-2 minutes. Then add the garlic and cook for a further 30 seconds until soft and translucent. Ensure the heat isn’t too high to stop them burning. Once cooked place in a large mixing bowl.
- Crack the eggs into a cup and whisk with a fork until combined.
- Blitz the kale in a food processor until fine or option to dice as finely as possible.
- Place the cooked zucchini in a mixing bowl and combine with the goats cheese, chives, parsley (keep some for topping), kale, marinara sauce, salt, pepper, eggs and almond flour. Mix well.
- Line a medium baking tray with greaseproof paper to prevent sticking (I used 8 x 11 x 1.5 inch/ 20 x 28 x 4 cm baking tray). Coat the top of the greaseproof with a teaspoon of olive oil. Spoon in the keto breakfast bake filling and smooth with a spatula ensuring it fills to the edges.
- Peel the remaining zucchini using a vegetable peeler to make thin strands about 2 mm thick.
- Place alternating layers of parma ham and courgette on top of the low carb breakfast slice. I like to place 2 - 3 zucchini strips on top of each other and brush the top with a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for 35 minutes until the top is slightly crisp and the base cooked through. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve. To store, let it cool down and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!