Are you already planning your New Year's celebration menu? These keto roll-ups are the perfect bite-sized appetizers everyone will love.
I made them for a recent Christmas dinner party and I wish I made more because they didn't last for too long. Everyone was asking for the recipe which is surprisingly simple.
Horseradish, ham and cheese are a common flavor combination in Czech and Eastern European cuisines. These roll-ups are inspired by rolled ham with horseradish mousse, a traditional Czech wedding appetizer.
I hope you like these roll-ups as much as we did. Happy Holidays everyone!
All you need is four ingredients — sliced cheese, ham, cream cheese and horseradish. That's it!
You can use any hard cheese as long as it's not too fatty and can hold it's shape when melted. Low moisture, part-skim Mozzarella, Gouda or Emmental or Gruyere slices work really well with ham, cheese and horseradish. If you don't have sliced cheese, grate an equivalent amount of whole blocks on the parchment paper and shape into a rectangle.
Feel free to add fresh chopped herbs such as parsley, spring onions or chives. If you're not a fan of horseradish, use a tablespoon or two of finely chopped capers or pickled jalapeños instead.
Serve 2 to 4 roll-ups as an appetizer, or 6 to 8 roll-ups an a lunchbox option alongside some dressed greens or simple salads.
Follow us 148.4k
Serving size 2 roll-ups
Allergy information for Ham & Cheese Horseradish Roll-Ups
✔ Gluten free
✔ Egg free
✔ Nut free
✔ Nightshade free
✔ Avocado free
✔ Coconut free
✔ Fish free
✔ Shellfish free
✔ Beef free
Nutritional values (per serving, 2 roll-ups)
Net carbs2.7 grams
Calories from carbs 6%, protein 25%, fat 69%
Total carbs2.8 gramsFiber0.1 gramsSugars1.5 gramsSaturated fat8.4 gramsSodium499 mg(22% RDA)Magnesium13 mg(3% RDA)Potassium173 mg(9% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 16 roll-ups)
- 9 square slices of Mozzarella, Gouda, Emmental or Gruyere (225 g/ 8 oz)
- 225 g cream cheese or soft goat's cheese (8 oz)
- 2 to 3 tsp grated fresh horseradish or prepared horseradish
- 140 g quality thin-cut ham slices (5 oz)
- Optional: fresh herbs such as parsley or chives
- Preheat the oven to 150 °C/ 300 °F (fan assisted), or 170 °C/ 340 °F (conventional). Line a baking tray with strong parchment paper. Lay the mozzarella cheese slices on the parchment paper, overlapping slightly. Depending on the size of the slices, you should get a rectangle that's about 28 cm (11 inch) x 20 cm (8 inch).
Note: Mozzarella, Gouda, Emmental or Gruyere slices will all work well in this recipe.
- Place in the oven bake until just melted, for 3 to 5 minutes. Do not over bake or crisp up, you only want the cheese to connect and create a large sheet. Once melted, remove from the oven and set aside to cool down.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cream cheese filling by mixing the cream cheese and horseradish (you can use freshly grated or prepared. Optionally you can add fresh chopped herbs such as chives or parsley).
- When the cheese is about room temperature or slightly warmer, pay the ham slices all over, leaving a small gap from the edges.
- Spread the horseradish cream cheese on top.
- Use the parchment paper as a guide to roll up the ham & cheese into a long tight roll. Place in the fridge and chill for at least an hour or overnight.
- When ready to serve, use a sharp knife to cut into 16 slices, each one about 1 1/2 cm thick (0.6 inch). Wipe the knife between cuts to create clean cuts.
- Serve 2 to 4 rolls per serving as an appetizer. Store in the fridge in a sealed container for up to 4 days.
Ingredient nutritional breakdown (per serving, 2 roll-ups)
Follow us 148.4k
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!