This ketogenic Mediterranean Cauliflower Rice with Halloumi is the perfect weekday meal. It’s a quick, easy recipe and packed full of flavour.
Cauliflower rice is a great low carb alternative to rice. It’s anti-inflammatory and much kinder to the digestive system than traditional rice. Want to know the secret to delicious tasting, fluffy cauliflower rice? I’m sharing it below. It’s what I like to call the 3’s: Steam, Squeeze and Sauté!
Nutritional values (per serving)
|of which Saturated||20.4||grams|
|Magnesium||67||mg (17% RDA)|
|Potassium||574||mg (29% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (8%), protein (18%), fat (74%)
Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
- 1 small cauliflower, stalk and leaves removed, (500 g/ 1.1 lb)
- 1 small red onion, diced (60 g/ 2.1 oz)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp virgin coconut oil (28 g/ 1 oz)
- 1 tbsp red pesto (15 g/ 0.5 oz) - you can make your own
- 1 tsp of dried oregano
- 5 pieces sun-dried tomatoes (15 g/ 0.5 oz)
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 2-4 tbsp fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 320 g Halloumi (11.3 oz) - 80 g/ 2.8 oz per person, 3 slices
- salt and pepper to taste
- lemon wedges to serve
Note: use pesto made with sunflower seeds for a nut-free option.
- Remove the leaves and stalk from the cauliflower and chop the florets into chunks.
- Place the chopped cauliflower in a high speed food processor. Using the S blade or a grating blade, pulse until it resembles a rice sized consistency. Takes about 10 seconds.
- Add an inch of boiling water to a pan and place on the stove. Add your cauliflower rice to a metal steamer and place in the pan. Steam for 7 - 8 minutes until cooked but slightly el-dente. Alternatively, you can place the cauli-rice in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of water and cook in the microwave on high for about 3-5 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly and transfer to a muslin cloth or nut bag and squeeze out the excess water (this is what makes the cauli-rice nice and fluffy). If you don’t have muslin, a fine, clean tea towel would also work.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a sauce pan on a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes until soft and translucent. Turn the heat down to low. Add 1 extra tablespoon of coconut oil to the pan, along with the cauliflower rice, oregano, chopped sun-dried tomatoes, paprika, pesto and olive oil. Mix and fluff with a fork. Season to taste (remember the Halloumi is salty too)! Turn off the heat, and toss through the fresh parsley.
- In a frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the Halloumi slices and fry on a medium heat for approximately 2 minutes per side, until it starts to turn golden and crisp.
- Place the Mediterranean cauliflower rice on a plate and top with the fried Halloumi. Optionally, garnish with more parsley and ground black pepper. Serve with lemon wedges. Eat immediately or store in the fridge for up to 4 days and reheat as needed.
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!