I like making all the basic ingredients I cook with instead of buying ready-made. I never buy ketchup, BBQ sauce or mayonnaise because I want to have full control over what I eat. Most store-bought products don't contain just sugar, but also preservatives and additives that are best avoided.
I've been making my own curry paste for over two years and always have some in the freezer, ready to be used in Asian keto recipes. It adds an amazing taste and even creams up sauces so you won't have to use a thickener. It will spice up any dishes, including simple side dishes like cauli-rice.
Nutritional values (per serving/ 1 tbsp/ 15 g/ 0.5 oz):
|of which Saturated||0||grams|
|Potassium & Magnesium||trace|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (76%), protein (16%), fat (8%)
Ingredients (makes 1 medium jar/ ~ 1 ½ cups):
- 3 medium shallots or brown onion (150 g/ 5.3 oz)
- 2 heads garlic, about 16 cloves (50 g/ 1.8 oz)
- ⅓ cup sliced ginger root (80 g/ 2.8 oz)
- 2 tbsp fresh turmeric root (12 g/ 0.4 oz) - see notes below
- juice and zest from 1 lime
- 2 lemongrass stalks, peeled
- 10-20 green or red Thai chilies, deseeded (40 g/ 1.4 oz) - size varies
- 2 tbsp fish sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt (I like pink Himalayan)
- ¼ - ½ cup fresh cilantro
Spices for toasting:
You can find fresh turmeric root in Asian grocery stores or on Amazon.
- Peel and roughly chop the shallots, garlic, ginger and turmeric root. Zest and juice the lime. Remove the outer woody lemongrass stalk, 1-2 layers as needed - only use the soft bulb inside.
- Place the coriander seeds, peppercorns and cumin seeds in a hot pan and dry-roast briefly for just 30-60 seconds. Cut the stems off the chilies and remove the seeds (or keep some if you prefer your curry paste extra hot).
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Place the paste in a jar and store in the fridge for up to a week.
Freeze any remaining curry paste in an ice-cube tray for up to 3 months.
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!