Happy Easter everyone! Have you decided what to cook on Monday? Tender and juicy lamb leg cooked in a slow cooker with herbs and spices is super easy and simple - you'll only need a few common ingredients. Apart from being delicious, lamb is perfect for the keto diet because it's naturally high in fat.
This recipe requires a slow cooker. If you are serious about healthy eating, you should consider getting a slow cooker or a pressure cooker. I use it on a regular basis to cook meat I get from my local farm: lamb, mutton, beef and pork. A slow cooker is not just convenient but [you'll also save money,]((/Blog/post/2014/10/08/Keto-Diet-on-a-Budget-Meal-Preparation-Tips) as it's great for cooking inexpensive yet delicious cuts of meat such as brisket, pork shoulder, oxtail, etc. If you don't have a slow cooker / crock pot, you can use a dutch oven or bake it in a regular oven.
Nutritional values (per serving)
|of which Saturated||18.3||grams|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (6%), protein (29%), fat (65%)
Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
- 1 lamb leg, bone in (1.5 kg / 3.3 lb) - will yield about 50% meat
- 2 tbsp ghee, tallow or lard
- 4 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup freshly chopped mint or 1-2 tbsp dried mint
- 6 cups green beans, trimmed (600 g / 1.3 lb / 21.2 oz)
- ½ tsp salt or more to taste (I like pink Himalayan)
- freshly ground black pepper
- Pre-warm the slow cooker. Using a paper towel, pat dry the lamb and season with salt and pepper. Grease a large pot with ghee.
- Place the lamb in the pot greased with ghee and fry until golden brown.
- Using tongs, turn on the other side and brown from all sides. When done, take off the heat and set aside.
- Peel and slice the garlic and chop the mint. Place the lamb in the slow cooker and sprinkle garlic and mint all over. You shouldn't need any water, however, if the lamb becomes dry, add half to one cup of water.
- Cover with a lid and cook on high for 6 hours or low for 10 hours in a slow cooker / crock pot.
- After 4 hours of cooking, transfer the lamb to a plate.
- Place the green beans into the slow cooker and add the lamb. Cook for another 2 hours until the green beans are crisp-tender and the meat is soft and juicy.
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!