Butternut squash is a type of winter squash that contains 2-3 times more carbs than summer squash. I wouldn't recommend it for a very low-carb diet, but you can have it as long as you stay within your net carbs limit. Keep in mind that chips and crisps are not meant to replace a proper meal.
I admit it took me a few attempts to fine-tune this recipe. The chips were either burnt or rubbery, but in the end, I managed to find a way to make them nice and crispy: I used an oven chip tray which worked perfectly!
Apart from baking the chips in the oven, you can also deep-fry them in coconut oil or ghee. I personally prefer the oven method, as I don't like wasting coconut oil.
Nutritional values (per serving)
|of which Saturated||5.9||grams|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (37.3%), protein (3.9%), fat (58.8%)
Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
Notes: Oils that have high smoke points are suitable for cooking (butter, ghee, coconut oil, macadamia oil, etc.).
When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives).
- Preheat the oven to 125 C / 250 F. Peel the butternut squash and slice thinly on a mandolin. If you are using a knife, make sure the slices are no more than 1/8 inch (1/4 cm) thin. Place in a bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix melted coconut oil, gingerbread spice mix and stevia.
Note: Butternut squash is naturally sweet and you may not need to use any sweetener.
- Pour the oil mixture over the butternut squash and mix well to allow it everywhere.
- Arrange the slices close to each other on a baking tray lined with parchment paper or a rack or an oven chip tray (you will need at least 2 of them).
- Place in the oven and cook for about 1.5 hour or until crispy (the exact time depends on how thick the chips are).
Note: Half way through, you can spray them with a bit of coconut oil to help them crisp up.
- Although the chips shouldn't burn at low temperature, you should keep an eye on them. When done, let them cool down and store in an air-tight container for up to a week.
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!