We already know that eating sugar is bad for our health. Carbohydrates per se are not the culprit - it's the overconsumption of carbohydrates that leads to several health issues including type 2 diabetes, heart disease and obesity.
As a health-conscious person, I avoid all sugary beverages. This includes soda, juices and even zero-sugar drinks that use artificial sweeteners. These are not only unhealthy but can, in fact, indirectly cause weight gain.
When you give up all these beverages, you are left with water, tea and coffee which might get quite boring. Making naturally flavoured water will help you stay hydrated and you won't miss sugary drinks.
How to Make Flavoured Water
To make flavoured water at home, you will need:
- still or sparkling water, and optionally ice (tip: try making iced tea or flavoured almond milk instead of water)
- herbs such as mint, rosemary, thyme, basil, lavender, etc. (optional)
- fruits and vegetables, such as cucumber, fresh or frozen berries, melon, lemon, orange, lime (note that lime zest will make your flavoured water bitter if you leave it in for too long)
- spices such as cinnamon, cloves, star anise, ginger, etc. (optional)
- jars, pitchers or an infusion water bottle
My Top 5 Flavoured Water Recipes
The following recipes will make up to 1 litre (1 quart) of flavoured water. Sweeteners are optional and should be used to taste. You can store flavoured water or tea in the fridge for up to 3 days.
1. Berry & Mint
Mix 1 cup of fresh or frozen berries and a bunch of mint. Optionally a few drops of stevia such as NuNaturals and ice.
2. Virgin Mojito
Mix 1-2 limes (sliced) and a bunch of mint. Optionally, add stevia or Sukrin Syrup Gold and ice.
3. Spiced Orange
Mix 1 orange (sliced), 1-2 cinnamon sticks, 1 star anise, and a small piece of sliced ginger. Optionally, add a few drops of stevia and ice.
4. Lemon & Mint Iced Tea
Prepare the tea by pouring hot water over 1-2 bags of quality black tea (or rose hip), a bunch of mint, and 1 lemon (sliced). Optionally, add a few drops of stevia. Drink hot or let it cool down and add ice.
5. Strawberry & Hibiscus Tea
Prepare the tea by pouring hot water over 2 bags of acai green tea and 2-4 hibiscus flowers. Let it cool down to room temperature and add 1/2 cup of fresh or frozen strawberries. Optionally, add a few drops of stevia and ice.
Why Use a Water Bottle?
We all are so busy in our every day routines that we don't drink enough water. And that includes myself. Apart from my morning and afternoon coffee, I sometimes forget to drink fluids throughout the day, and as a result, I get dehydrated, feel tired and even get headaches. Having flavoured water at my desk helps me stay hydrated and feel energised all day long - without sugar.
To make flavoured water more fun, I started using a water pitcher from Ecooe that is perfect for infusing water and tea with natural ingredients. Here are some of the highlights:
- it's made from thick borosilicate glass which is resistant to heat (suitable for both hot and cold drinks) and BPA-free ABS and silicone
- a skid-proof sleeve which will protect your hands from burning
- cone shaped filter that will enable you to drink directly from the pitcher
- it's easy to dissemble and clean
- it's portable and travel-friendly
You can buy Ecooe products, including this water pitcher at Ecooe and on Amazon.
Disclaimer: Ecooe water pitcher has been provided to me for the purpose of this review as a free sample. This has not influenced my review and the opinions expressed in this post are my own. Ecooe is one of the sponsors in our KetoDiet Challenges.
Do you like this post? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this post!