There’s nothing quite as comforting as a good sausages and mash. This low carb Keto-friendly mash made with celeriac and cauliflower is the creamiest, dreamiest alternative to the humble potato. Made with butter and then blitzed in a blender makes it so silky smooth you’ll never crave starchy spuds again!
Topped with a mushroom and red wine jus it’s comfort food at its best. If you’d prefer more of a gravy, simply add a teaspoon of arrowroot to thicken it. Make sure you choose the best quality sausages, without any breadcrumbs, just pure meat, herbs and spices to give the best flavour.
Allergy information for Low-Carb Sausages & Mash with Red Wine Gravy
✔ Gluten free
✔ Dairy free
✔ Egg free
✔ Nut free
✔ Avocado free
✔ Coconut free
✔ Fish free
✔ Shellfish free
Nutritional values (per serving)
Net carbs9.9 grams
Calories from carbs 7%, protein 17%, fat 76%
Total carbs14.3 gramsFiber4.4 gramsSugars4.7 gramsSaturated fat20.4 gramsSodium767 mg(33% RDA)Magnesium52 mg(13% RDA)Potassium1,003 mg(50% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 2 servings)
- 4 medium gluten-free sausages (200 g/ 7.1 oz)
- 3/4 small red onion (45 g/ 1.6 oz) - use the remaining onion in the gravy
- 1 tbsp ghee or other cooking fat for frying
- 2/3 small cauliflower, stalk and leaves removed (177 g/ 6.2 oz)
- 1/2 medium celeriac, peeled (80 g/ 2.8 oz)
- 1 heaped tbsp butter (25 g/ 0.9 oz) or extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Mushroom and Red Wine Gravy:
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (15 ml)
- 1 1/2 fresh wild mushrooms, sliced (75 g/ oz)
- 1/4 small red onion (15 g/ 0.5 oz)
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary or 1 tsp dried
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock (360 ml/ 12 fl oz)
- 1/3 cup dry red wine (80 ml/ 2.7 fl oz)
- Pinch of coarse black pepper
- Prepare the sausages. Preheat the oven to 190 °C/ 375 °F. Cut the sausages in half lenghtwise (option to leave whole if you prefer) and place on greaseproof lined baking tray.
- Peel the onions, slice into wedges and place on the same tray as the sausages. Drizzle the onions in a little ghee or olive oil (approx. 1 tablespoon) and toss.
- Roast the sausages and onions in the oven for 30 minutes until cooked through. Cooking times will vary depending on how crispy you like your sausages and whether you cut them in half or left them whole. Just ensure they are fully cooked with no pink meat.
- Prepare the gravy. Slice the mushrooms. Peel and finely dice the onion. Heat the butter or olive oil in a pan on a medium heat and sauté the mushrooms for 2 minutes. After 1 minute of cooking time add the onion for 1 minute. Add the stock, herbs and red wine and allow to simmer for about 15 minutes until the sauce reduces and becomes concentrated. This is how you get more flavour. If you prefer a thicker gravy, before you start add a little stock to a cup and mix 1 teaspoon of arrowroot to form a paste, add a little more stock until mixed well, stir into the mushrooms until smooth and then stir in the rest of the stock and allow to reduce as indicated above.
- Prepare the mash. Whilst the gravy is cooking, place a boiling pan of water on the hob. Remove the skin, stalks and leaves from the cauliflower and celeriac. Chop into chunks, about 2 cm in diameter and add to the hot water with a pinch of salt. Boil for 15 minutes until soft, but still with a bite.
- Once cooked, drain the water, dry off on the heat and then transfer to a high speed blender or food processor. Pulse in short burst until smooth, you may have to scrape the sides a few times with a spatula. Do not blend on full or you will end up with soup! Option to use a hand blender or masher. (It just won’t be as smooth but still tastes good!) Place the low carb mash back into the pan and stir through the butter or olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place the Keto mash in a bowl, top with sausages and mushroom red wine gravy.
Ingredient nutritional breakdown (per serving)
|Sausages, pastured, free of gluten and sugar|
|0.6 g||16.6 g||17.8 g||230 kcal|
|Onion, red, fresh|
|1.5 g||0.3 g||0.1 g||9 kcal|
|0 g||0 g||7.5 g||68 kcal|
|2.6 g||1.7 g||0.2 g||22 kcal|
|Celery roots, fresh (celeriac)|
|2.8 g||0.8 g||0 g||16 kcal|
|Butter, unsalted, grass-fed|
|0 g||0.1 g||10.1 g||90 kcal|
|Salt, pink Himalayan rock salt|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Pepper, black, spices|
|0.1 g||0 g||0 g||0 kcal|
|Olive oil, extra virgin|
|0 g||0 g||6.8 g||60 kcal|
|Mushrooms, wild, fresh|
|0.6 g||0.7 g||0.2 g||6 kcal|
|Onion, red, fresh|
|0.5 g||0.1 g||0 g||3 kcal|
|0.1 g||0 g||0.1 g||2 kcal|
|0.2 g||0.1 g||0.1 g||2 kcal|
|Chicken stock (broth), chicken only, homemade|
|0 g||3.6 g||3.6 g||47 kcal|
|Red wine (dry)|
|0.9 g||0 g||0 g||30 kcal|
|Total per serving|
|9.9 g||24 g||46.4 g||584 kcal|
Follow us 148.4k
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!