We all know how easy it is to make your own delicious mayonnaise these days, don’t we? Do you remember the days where a pot of homemade mayo on the dinner table was a huge treat?
So, we moved on to serving our family and guests hollandaise when we wanted to whip out something a bit special.
Hold on to your hats, people. Saffron Mayonnaise will blow your mind. It’s luxuriously rich and creamy with a delicate honeyed flavour and an indulgent yellow hue.
Yes, I know, saffron isn’t cheap, but you only use a small amount in this recipe, and it has become a lot easier to source and purchase these days with many major supermarket chains stocking it in the spice section.
Unlike most store-bought mayo products, here at no unhealthy vegetable oils in this recipe. We are using light tasting olive oil but you can also use other healthy fats such as avocado oil, walnut oil or macadamia oil. It's a healthy fat bomb with no carbs!
This healthy keto mayonnaise is perfect with eggs, steamed greens, on a steak, with shellfish, or eaten out of the jar… Enjoy!
Using raw eggs? If a recipe calls for raw eggs and you are concerned about the potential risk of Salmonella, you can make it safe by using pasteurized eggs. To pasteurize eggs at home, simply pour enough water in a saucepan to cover the eggs. Heat to about 60 °C/ 140 °F. Using a spoon, slowly place the eggs into the saucepan. Keep the eggs in the water for about 3 minutes. This should be enough to pasteurize the eggs and kill any potential bacteria. Let the eggs cool down before using in any recipe, or store in the fridge for 6-8 weeks.
Serving size 1 tbsp, 15 g/ 0.5 oz
Allergy information for Homemade Saffron Mayonnaise
✔ Gluten free
✔ Dairy free
✔ Nut free
✔ Nightshade free
✔ Pork free
✔ Avocado free
✔ Coconut free
✔ Fish free
✔ Shellfish free
✔ Beef free
Nutritional values (per serving, 1 tbsp, 15 g/ 0.5 oz)
Net carbs0 grams
Calories from carbs 0%, protein 1%, fat 99%
Total carbs0 gramsFiber0 gramsSugars0 gramsSaturated fat1.1 gramsSodium34 mg(1% RDA)Magnesium0 mg(0% RDA)Potassium4 mg(0% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
- 1 tsp saffron strands
- 1 tbsp boiling water
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup light flavoured olive oil, avocado oil, walnut oil or macadamia oil
- Optional: 1-2 tsp lemon juice or apple cider vinegar, to taste
- Prepare all the ingredients. Make sure o use whole egg, not just the yolk.
- Place the saffron strands in the boiling water and leave to bloom for at least 30 minutes. If you can let it sit overnight, do so, but 30 minutes will still give you a fabulous result.
- Place the saffron and water into the bottom of a jar that your immersion blender fits neatly into. Top with the egg, the salt and the olive oil.
Don't have an immersion blender or a tight fitting jar? You can make your mayo using an electric mixer or even using a food processor!
- Place the cup of the immersion blender over the egg and turn it on. Don’t move it straight away, wait until you see ribbons forming around it and then slowly start to lift it up.
- Blend until the mayonnaise is thick and creamy. You want to have the strands of saffron mixed through the mayonnaise so check to make sure that none are tangled around the blender blades. If they are, turn the blender off at the power source before pulling the strands out and stirring them through the mayonnaise.
- Store, in a lidded jar, in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Ingredient nutritional breakdown (per serving, 1 tbsp, 15 g/ 0.5 oz)
Follow us 148.4k
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!