This is a foolproof guide to the crispy kale chips! Kale chips are a great low-carb alternative to potato chips. You can enjoy them on a low-carb, paleo or even ketogenic diet because they will not kick you out of ketosis like their high-carb alternatives.
My first experience with kale chips wasn't brilliant - I left the stems in, burnt them and used too much oil. So I knew it will take a few more attempts before they were perfect. Today I'm sharing keto kale chips with my top three seasonings: curried, smoky paprika and Mediterranean.
Serving size about 1 cup
Allergy information for Foolproof Kale Chips Three Ways
✔ Gluten free
✔ Dairy free
✔ Egg free
✔ Nut free
✔ Nightshade free
✔ Pork free
✔ Avocado free
✔ Coconut free
✔ Fish free
✔ Shellfish free
✔ Beef free
Nutritional values (per serving, about 1 cup)
Net carbs1.8 grams
Calories from carbs 16%, protein 8%, fat 76%
Total carbs2.8 gramsFiber1 gramsSugars0.6 gramsSaturated fat2.3 gramsSodium299 mg(13% RDA)Magnesium10 mg(3% RDA)Potassium141 mg(7% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
Basic recipe (plain kale chips)
- 1 bunch kale, green or red, stems removed (200 g/ 7.1 oz)
- 1 tbsp ghee, lard or coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste (I like pink Himalayan)
3 Optional Seasonings
- Curried: 1 tsp onion powder + 1 tsp curry powder + 1/2 tsp turmeric powder (+ 0.6 g net carbs per serving)
- Smoky Paprika: 1 tsp smoked paprika + 1/2 tsp chili powder + 1 tsp garlic powder (0.7 g net carbs per serving)
- Mediterranean: 1/2 tsp garlic powder + 1/2 tsp onion powder + 2 tsp Italian seasoning, herbs + 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (45 g/ 1.6 oz) (+ 1 g net carbs per serving)
Note: Nutrition facts listed are for plain kale chips (no additional seasoning).
- Preheat the oven to low, 115 °C/ 240 °F. Remove the stems and tear or chop into large-bite-sized pieces. Don't make them too small, they'll shrink a bit while baking. Wash the kale thoroughly. Place in a salad spinner to remove excess moisture.
- Make sure you drain it completely (paper towel works best). If you don't dry it enough, it will get soggy. Pour in the melted ghee ...
- ... and "massage" into the kale leaves evenly. Mix the seasoning (if used): Curried or ...
Other seasonings: Smoky paprika or Mediterranean. If making Mediterranean kale chips, do not add the Parmesan at this point - it will be added at the end of the baking process.
- Sprinkle the salt and seasoning over the kale leaves and mix using your hands until the seasoning covers the kale from all sides. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with baking paper and transfer into the oven.
If you don't want to get messy, simply place the kale into a ziploc bag, add the seasoning and shake well.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then turn the baking sheet round to ensure even cooking. Place back in the oven and bake for 20 more minutes (total of 40 minutes).
If making Mediterranean kale chips, add the Parmesan cheese for the last 5-10 minutes of the baking process. Simply sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top of the kale chips.
- When done, remove from the oven and set aside to cool down for 5 minutes. After the kale cools down completely, place it in an airtight container and store at room temperature. Enjoy!
Ingredient nutritional breakdown (per serving, about 1 cup)
Follow us 148.4k
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!