Dragon fruit aka Pitaya is the main ingredient in this summer smoothie. I love smoothies for many reasons - they are simple, quick to prepare and provide you with all the neccessary balanced nutrients. Unless you are on a "zero-carb" diet, they're great for breakfast or as a pre-workout meal as part of TKD.
Dragon Fruit comes from Central and South America and has been also grown in Asia. Its bright colours, beautiful texture and delicate sweet taste make this fruit perfect for preparing desserts or smoothies. They are similar in flavour to melons or kiwi fruit. Dragon fruit is not only fun to eat, but it is also rich in nutrients - it's a good source of:
- Vitamins: vitamin C (known as antioxidant protecting cells from free radical damage), B vitamins (skin health, carbohydrate metabolism and appetite control)
- Minerals: calcium, iron, potassium and phosphorus
And how many carbs are there in one dragon fruit (100 g/ 3.5 oz)? One small dragon fruit has just 9 g of net carbs, 1 g of fiber and only 60 calories. If eaten in moderation, it's on the list of fruits that are recommended along with berries and melons.
Serving size 1 smoothie
Allergy information for Low-Carb Tropical Pink Smoothie
✔ Gluten free
✔ Dairy free
✔ Nut free
✔ Nightshade free
✔ Pork free
✔ Avocado free
✔ Fish free
✔ Shellfish free
✔ Beef free
Nutritional values (per serving, 1 smoothie)
Net carbs12.1 grams
Calories from carbs 12%, protein 24%, fat 64%
Total carbs17 gramsFiber4.9 gramsSugars7.4 gramsSaturated fat21.9 gramsSodium75 mg(3% RDA)Magnesium60 mg(15% RDA)Potassium456 mg(23% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 1 smoothie)
- 1/2 small dragon fruit (50 g/ 1.8 oz)
- 1 small wedge Galia, Honeydew or Cantaloupe melon (50 g/ 1.8 oz)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk or heavy whipping cream (120 ml/ 4 fl oz)
- 1 scoop whey protein powder (vanilla or plain) or egg white powder or hydrolysed powdered gelatin (25 g/ 0.9 oz)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds (8 g/ 0.3 oz)
- 3-6 drops liquid Stevia extract or other healthy low-carb sweetener from this list
- 1/2 cup water (120 ml/ 4 fl oz)
- Optional: few ice cubes
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!