It’s winter here in Australia and I live in the southernmost state of Tasmania, so it is cold!
There is nothing more comforting on a chilly night that sitting down to a bowl of rich, warm Chicken Chasseur.
I can find that tomato based casseroles don’t agree with my system, so I added some heavy cream to this one and the whole family loved the change. The cram gives it a decadent richness that is a great change from the traditional chasseur recipes.
This recipe is fragrant, creamy, full of flavour and really easy to make.
We love to have it served over a bowl of simple herbed cauliflower rice.
Nutritional values (per serving)
|of which Saturated||11.1||grams|
|Magnesium||52||mg (13% RDA)|
|Potassium||689||mg (34% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (6%), protein (35%), fat (59%)
Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
- 4 chicken bone-in thighs (about 500 g/ 1.1 lb) - will yield about 60% meat
- 4 chicken bone-in drumsticks (about 500 g/ 1.1 lb) - will yield about 60% meat
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (70 g/ 2.5oz)
- 1 medium onion, sliced (110 g/ 3.9 oz)
- 2 ½ tbsp sugar-free tomato passata (40 ml)
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon white wine (250 ml)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 ½ tbsp chopped tarragon
- 2 cups good quality chicken stock (480 ml)
- ½ cup heavy pouring cream (120 ml), or coconut cream for dairy-free
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp xanthan gum (see note below for alternatives)
- Serving suggestion: 1 to 1 ½ cups cauli-rice per serving
Note for primal: you can use 1 teaspoon of glucomannan powder (use just like you would xanthan gum), or 1-2 tablespoons of ground chia seeds sprinkled over the surface and mixed in the sauce until it thickens.
- Heat a deep sided pan on the stove and brown the chicken pieces in batches until golden in colour. Remove chicken and place aside.
- Using the same pan, gently cook the onions, mushrooms, garlic and tarragon until softened.
- Add the tomato passata, white wine, lemon juice and cream and stir through.
Add the chicken stock, place the pan back on the heat until it reaches a gentle boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and whisk in the xanthan gum. Once gum is combined and sauce is thickening, return the chicken to the pan and cook gently until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve on a bed of herbed cauliflower rice.
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!