It’s winter here in Australia and I live in the southernmost state of Tasmania, so it is cold!
There is nothing more comforting on a chilly night that sitting down to a bowl of rich, warm Chicken Chasseur.
I can find that tomato based casseroles don’t agree with my system, so I added some heavy cream to this one and the whole family loved the change. The cram gives it a decadent richness that is a great change from the traditional chasseur recipes.
This recipe is fragrant, creamy, full of flavour and really easy to make. We love to have it served over a bowl of simple herbed cauliflower rice.
Note for primal: you can use 1 teaspoon of glucomannan powder (use just like you would xanthan gum), or 1-2 tablespoons of ground chia seeds sprinkled over the surface and mixed in the sauce until it thickens.
Allergy information for Creamy Low-Carb Chicken Chasseur
✔ Gluten free
✔ Dairy free
✔ Egg free
✔ Nut free
✔ Pork free
✔ Coconut free
✔ Fish free
✔ Shellfish free
✔ Beef free
- Recipe can be made dairy-free or coconut-free.
Nutritional values (per serving)
Net carbs5.2 grams
Calories from carbs 6%, protein 35%, fat 59%
Total carbs6.6 gramsFiber1.4 gramsSugars3.9 gramsSaturated fat11.1 gramsSodium229 mg(10% RDA)Magnesium51 mg(13% RDA)Potassium674 mg(34% EMR)
Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
- 4 chicken bone-in thighs (about 500 g/ 1.1 lb) - will yield about 60% meat
- 4 chicken bone-in drumsticks (about 500 g/ 1.1 lb) - will yield about 60% meat
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (70 g/ 2.5oz)
- 1 medium onion, sliced (110 g/ 3.9 oz)
- 2 1/2 tbsp sugar-free tomato passata (40 ml)
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon white wine (250 ml)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tbsp chopped tarragon
- 2 cups good quality chicken stock (480 ml)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream or coconut cream (120 ml/ 4 fl oz)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp xanthan gum or 1 tbsp ground chia seeds
- Serving suggestion: 1 to 1 1/2 cups cauli-rice per serving
- Heat a deep sided pan on the stove and brown the chicken pieces in batches until golden in colour. Remove chicken and place aside.
- Using the same pan, gently cook the onions, mushrooms, garlic and tarragon until softened.
- Add the tomato passata, white wine, lemon juice and cream and stir through.
Add the chicken stock, place the pan back on the heat until it reaches a gentle boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and whisk in the xanthan gum. Once gum is combined and sauce is thickening, return the chicken to the pan and cook gently until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve on a bed of herbed cauliflower rice.
Ingredient nutritional breakdown (per serving)
|Chicken thighs (skinless, boneless, raw)|
|0 g||14.7 g||3.1 g||91 kcal|
|Chicken drumsticks, raw|
|0.1 g||13.6 g||6.9 g||121 kcal|
|Mushrooms (white), fresh|
|0.4 g||0.5 g||0.1 g||4 kcal|
|Onion, brown (yellow), raw|
|1.8 g||0.2 g||0 g||10 kcal|
|Tomato sauce (passata), unsweetened|
|0.4 g||0.1 g||0 g||2 kcal|
|White wine (dry)|
|1.3 g||0 g||0 g||52 kcal|
|0.2 g||0 g||0 g||1 kcal|
|0.1 g||0 g||0 g||1 kcal|
|Chicken stock (broth), chicken only, homemade|
|0 g||2.4 g||2.4 g||31 kcal|
|Cream, heavy whipping, pouring, full-fat (30-40% fat)|
|0.8 g||0.6 g||11.4 g||110 kcal|
|Lemon juice, fresh|
|0.2 g||0 g||0 g||1 kcal|
|Xanthan gum, thickening agent|
|0 g||0 g||0 g||2 kcal|
|Total per serving|
|5.2 g||32.3 g||23.9 g||425 kcal|
Follow us 148.4k
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!