This is my simplified, low-carb version of a Greek favourite - Spanakopita, a delicious savoury pie filled with spinach and feta cheese.
It's adapted from Keto Morning Hot Pockets which went viral over the social media. Based on several requests, I made the pockets nut-free by using flax meal instead of almond flour. Because flax meal is more absorbent than almond flour, I also added some cream cheese. If you can eat nuts, you can follow the original recipe that is made with almond flour - you will only need 4 ingredients: shredded mozzarella, almond flour, spinach and feta - that's it!
In the next few weeks, I'll share even more variations of this recipe, just like these Ham & Cheese Pockets, stay tuned :-)
Follow us 17.8k
Nutritional values (per serving)
|of which Saturated||14.2||grams|
|Magnesium||110||mg (27% RDA)|
|Potassium||326||mg (16% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (5%), protein (25%), fat (70%)
Ingredients (makes 2 servings)
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella (85 g/ 3 oz) - use low-moisture, part-skim, shredded mozzarella cheese; not fresh mozzarella.
- 1 heaped tbsp cream cheese (30 g/ 1 oz)
- 4 tbsp flax meal (28 g/ 1 oz)
- 85 g cooked & drained spinach (3 oz ) - squeeze out as much moisture as possible
- 85 g feta cheese, crumbled (3 oz)
- Prepare the dough: melt the shredded mozzarella and cream cheese in a microwave oven for 1 minute, checking half way through.
- Add the flax meal. Stir until the dough is well-combined.
- Roll the dough out between 2 sheets of parchment paper (I used a silicon mat and silicon rolling pin).
- Add the cooked and drained spinach and crumbled feta.
- Fold over like an envelope and seal the dough.
- Poke some holes for releasing the steam while baking. Bake at 400 F (200 C) for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch.
- When done, remove from the oven and let it cool down for a few minutes. Cut in half and enjoy while still hot ...
... or let it cool down and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!