These Lemon and Raspberry Cupcakes are a refined sugar free and low fructose alternative to healthy snack time.
Low carb, gluten free and delicious thanks to a base of almonds and coconut flour and sweetened with just a few low gi raspberries (option to add a touch of stevia if you like things a little sweeter).
Please don’t skip the coconut frosting, this is the sensational bit and what makes the whole dish moist and yummy. My favourite coconut yoghurt and what works well in this recipe is the natural one by Coyo. It’s thick and creamy so pipes well too.
Put on a brew, grab a cupcake and settle down to your favourite Netflix series. You deserve it!
Nutritional values (per serving)
|of which Saturated||26.2||grams|
|Magnesium||48||mg (12% RDA)|
|Potassium||188||mg (9.4% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (5%), protein (10%), fat (85%)
Ingredients (makes 4 cupcakes)
Note: You can use unsweetened Coyo coconut yogurt (both "Natural" and "Vanilla" are sugar-free). Alternatively, you can use coconut cream whipped with a few drops of stevia and spread on top of the cupcakes.)
- Preheat the oven to 190 C (375 F). In a bowl, mix the coconut flour, ground almonds, baking soda, vanilla, salt, poppy seeds lemon zest together.
- In a separate bowl, crack open the eggs. Add the melted coconut oil, lemon juice and water. Stir.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix well. Gently fold in 15 of the 18 raspberries. Line your loose bottomed cupcake tins with a little coconut oil or olive oil to prevent sticking, or option to use cupcake cases and place in the cupcake tins. Divide the mixture into 4 and fill each cupcake tin.
- Bake in the oven for around 20 - 25 minutes until golden on top and you can insert and remove a skewer without any crumbs sticking. Remove from the oven and allow to cool fully.
- Meanwhile, press the 3 remaining raspberries through a fine sieve to get the juice.
- Drain off any water from the top of the coconut yoghurt. Place the thick coconut yoghurt in a piping bag and drizzle in the raspberry juice (the coconut yogurt needs to be thick or it won’t pipe - refrigeration before piping is required). Pipe onto of the cupcakes. Alternatively, you can just mix the raspberry juice and coconut yoghurt together and spoon on top. It just looks pretty piped!
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!