Making your own beef jerky is easier than you think. Unlike most store-bought products, my recipe is free of sugar and preservatives. I used minced meat because it's easier to work with and the end result is more tender than the more common sliced beef jerky.
Jerky is the ideal snack when travelling, and even be part of a complete meal when paired with healthy keto salad like Guacamole. I usually make two batches at once and store it in a ziploc bag in the freezer.
I hope you like this recipe - don't forget to check out my other video recipes!
Follow us 15.3k
Nutritional values (per serving, 2 slices)
|of which Saturated||4.8||grams|
|Magnesium||13||mg (3% RDA)|
|Potassium||203||mg (10% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (1%), protein (27%), fat (72%). Nutrition facts are estimated and depend on the amount of fat and juices that are lost during the cooking process.
Ingredients (makes 16 slices, 8 servings)
Recommended: Since your oven will be on for 4-5 hours, make 2-3 batches at once!
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl: minced meat, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, black pepper, salt and coconut aminos. Mix using your hands.
- Place the meat mix on top of a strong parchment paper or a heatproof baking mat and press down using your hands to flatten. Use a rolling pin and roll out until you get a rectangular shape, about ¼ inch (½ cm) thick.
- Pre-cut the jerky into thin slices using a pizza cutter. Place in the oven preheated to 190 F/ 90 C and cook for 4-5 hours, until dry. Drain the excess juices every 2 hours. Flipping the jerky on the other side half way through the cooking process will speed up the drying.
If you decide to make two batches of beef jerky, make sure you use two baking sheets - each for one batch. You could also use a dehydrator and dry on a higher temperature setting.
- When done, remove from the oven and let it cool down for 5 minutes. Using a pizza cutter, slice the pre-cut jerky. Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to a month, or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Eat by itself or with low-carb dips like Guacamole, Baba Ganoush or Cheesy Low-Carb Dip.
Reserve the meat juices for cooking - it will add flavour to your meals! Simply pour in a jar and keep refrigerated for up to a week.
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!