This time I'd like to share my favourite soup: BBQ Chicken Pizza Soup - a bowl of goodness! I love the combination of BBQ chicken and pizza ingredients in this hearty, warming and satisfying soup. It's easy to make, tasty and great for a busy weeknight meal. I usually make a large pot from which I keep half in the fridge and freeze the other half to have a quick keto-friendly meal when I don't have time to cook.
Nutritional values (per serving)
|of which Saturated||12.8||grams|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (6.4%), protein (27.7%), fat (65.8%).
Ingredients (makes 8 servings)
- 1 large chicken or 4-6 chicken legs (1.8-2 kg / 4-4.4 lb, bones in) - will yield about 50% meat
- 1 medium red onion (100 g / 3.5 oz)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 large tin tomatoes, unsweetened (400 g / 14.1 oz)
- 4 cups green beans (400 g / 14.1 oz)
- ¾ cup Spicy Chocolate BBQ Sauce (180 g / oz)
- 1 ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese, low moisture "pizza" type (170 g / 6 oz)
- ¼ cup ghee or lard (you can make your own ghee) (56 g/ 2 oz)
- 2-3 litres / quarts water (enough to cover the chicken)
- 1 tsp salt (I like pink Himalayan)
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- fresh cilantro or basil for garnish
Optionally serve with:
- Prepare the chicken by following the steps in this post. Skin the chicken and place it in a large pot filled with water. Add salt and cover with a lid. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 60-75 minutes. When done, the chicken should be pale and the meat comes off easily. Use tongs and place the chicken in a bowl to cool it down slightly.
What to do with the chicken stock: To make the soup, you'll need about 2 litres / quarts of the chicken stock. Reserve the remaining chicken stock for other recipes. You can keep it refrigerated for up to 5 days or freeze for longer.
- Using a fork, shred the meat off the bones and set aside. Peel and finely dice the red onion and garlic. Place both in a large soup pot greased with the ghee and cook over a medium heat until lightly browned and fragrant. Pour in the chicken stock and bring to a boil over a high heat.
You can reserve the chicken bones for future uses and make this super-healthy Keto Bone Broth. Bone broth is not just easy to make and healthy but it will also help you beat keto-flu!
- Meanwhile, wash and trim the green beans (cut off the stalks), cut into smaller pieces and add to the pot together with the tinned tomatoes. Boil until the green beans are crisp tender for about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the BBQ Sauce and shredded chicken and take off the heat. Add more salt if needed and season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Grate the mozzarella cheese - make sure you use the "pizza" type, low-moisture mozzarella. Pour the soup into serving bowls and add the shredded mozzarella. Garnish with cilantro and enjoy!
Tips for serving: Try this soup with crispy Chicken Cracklings, Ultimate Keto Breadsticks or Ultimate Keto Buns.
Tips for storing: Store in the fridge for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 6 months. The mozzarella cheese should always be added just before serving.
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!