I love using avocados for quick meals like this one. Avocados go great with chicken, tuna or sardines (also check out my Sardine Stuffed Avocado).
Including avocado in your diet is the best way to boost your electrolyte intake without taking supplements. An average avocado has less than 4 grams of net carbs, is very high in fibre, healthy monounsaturated fats (MUFA) and contains 50% EMR potassium.
Salmon is high in healthy omega 3 fatty acids and potassium. When possible, opt for wild-caught salmon from sustainable sources. Farmed salmon may be inexpensive but is often high in toxic chemicals called PCBs, which are potential carcinogens linked to liver cancer in humans. Studies in animals also showed that PCBs weaken the immune system and affect thyroid hormone levels!
Nutritional values (per serving)
|of which Saturated||11.4||grams|
|Magnesium||75||mg (19% RDA)|
|Potassium||1122||mg (56% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (6%), protein (24%), fat (70%)
Ingredients (makes 2 servings)
- 2 small-medium or 1 large avocado, seed removed (200 g / 7.1 oz)
- 2 small salmon fillets (220 g / 7.8 oz) - yields 175 g/ 6.2 oz cooked
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped (70 g / 2.5 oz)
- ¼ cup soured cream or crème fraîche or mayonnaise, try my home-made mayo (58 g / 2 oz)
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice (~ ½ lemon)
- salt to taste (I used pink Himalayan)
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp ghee or coconut oil (you can make your own ghee)
- 1-2 tbsp freshly chopped dill
- lemon wedges for garnish
Notes: When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives).
- Preheat the oven to 200 F / 400 F. Place the salmon filets on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Drizzle with melted ghee or olive oil, season with salt and pepper and 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice. Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- When done, remove from the oven and let it cool down for 5-10 minutes. Using a fork, shred the salmon fillets and discard the skin. Mix with finely chopped onion,...
- ..., soured cream (or creme fraiche or mayonnaise) and freshly chopped dill.
- Squeeze in more lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste. Scoop the middle of the avocado out leaving ½ - 1 inch of the avocado flesh. Cut the scooped avocado into small pieces.
- Place the chopped avocado into the bowl with salmon and mix until well combined.
- Fill each avocado half with the salmon & avocado mixture, add lemon and enjoy!
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!