When I was working on my Fat Bombs Cookbook, I created over 100 recipes for it. Not all of the recipes, including these Avocado & Egg Fat Bombs, made it to the final cut and I will be sharing them on my blog. This recipe features two of my favourite keto superfoods:
Avocado. It's one of the best sources of heart-healthy monounsaturated fats and potassium (one of the best remedies for keto-flu).
Eggs. Apart from vitamins and minerals, eggs contain the highest-quality protein. They are one of the best sources of B vitamins, and choline that are essential for your heart, brain and liver. Forget "detox" diets and liver cleanses. Their effectiveness is not supported by scientific evidence and some methods of cleansing may even hurt you. A low-carb diet high in omega 3 fatty acids and choline will keep your liver healthy: eat more eggs, garlic, leafy greens, fatty fish and turmeric.
I'm giving away a copy of my new Sweet & Savory Fat Bombs Cookbook. You can join the giveaway at the end of this post. If you like my Fat Bombs book, please, don't forget to leave a review on Amazon, it really makes a difference!
Sign up for FREE and get:
- 3 free diet plans to help you kickstart
your diet, lose weight and get healthy
- Recipes, giveaways and exclusive
deals delivered directly to your inbox
- A chance to win the KetoDiet app
Nutritional values (per serving, 2 heaping tbsp/ 1 1/2 oz/ 40 g)
|of which Saturated||2.7||grams|
|Magnesium||8||mg (8% RDA)|
|Potassium||141||mg (7% EMR)|
Nutrition facts exclude cucumber slices and egg whites. Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (3%), protein (6%), fat (91%)
Ingredients (makes 5 servings, ~ 3/4 cup)
- 3 large cooked egg yolks
- 1/2 large avocado, peeled and seed removed (100 g/ 3.5 oz)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (55 g/ 1.9 oz) - you can make your own
- 1 tbsp lemon or lime juice
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste (I like pink Himalayan)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped spring onions or chives
- freshly cut cucumber slices, bell peppers or crispy lettuce leaves
- leftover cooked egg white halves (if making deviled eggs)
- Start by cooking the eggs. Fill a small saucepan with water up to three quarters. Add a good pinch of salt. This will prevent the eggs from cracking. Bring to a boil. Using a spoon or hand, dip each egg in and out of the boiling water - be careful not to get burnt. This will prevent the egg from cracking as the temperature change won't be so sudden. To get the eggs hard-boiled, you need round 10 minutes. This timing works for large eggs. When done, remove from the heat and place in a bowl filled with cold water. I like and always use this egg timer! When the eggs are chilled, peel off the shells.
- Halve the avocado and remove the seed and peel. Cut the eggs in half and carefully - without breaking the egg whites - spoon the egg yolks into a bowl.
- Place the avocado cut into pieces into a food processor and add the egg yolks, mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Process until smooth. Alternatively, mash with a fork until creamy and well combined.
Enjoy with cucumber slices and spring onion on top, or ...
... fill up the egg white halves and make deviled eggs. To avoid browning, store in an airtight container and keep for up to 5 days.
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this recipe!