We don’t often think of soup so much in Summer but this low-carb Cream of Coconut and Broccoli Soup is perfect. It’s packed with flavour, rich, creamy and yet still feels nice and light for summer. It’s also ideal if you’re tailoring your keto journey to include more vegan or vegetarian recipes.
No soup is complete without a sensational topper in my book so today i’ve added some coconut chips and seeds for a little crunch and a sprinkling of Dukkah. I hope you enjoy it.
Nutritional values (per serving, about 1 ½ cups/ 360 ml)
|of which Saturated||23||grams|
|Magnesium||58||mg (15% RDA)|
|Potassium||768||mg (38% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (10%), protein (6%), fat (84%)
Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
- 2 tbsp virgin coconut oil (30 ml)
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 shallots (45 g/ 1.6 oz)
- 1 head broccoli, cut in florets (300 g/ 10.6 oz)
- 4 cups vegetables stock or chicken stock (960 ml/ 32 fl oz)
- ⅓ tsp salt or to taste
- ¼ tsp cracked black pepper
- Optional: handful of watercress
- ¾ cup full-fat coconut milk (180 ml/ 6 fl oz)
- 2 tbsp coconut cream (30 g/ 1.1 oz)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (15 ml)
- 1 tbsp full-fat yogurt or coconut yoghurt (15 g/ 0.5 oz)
- 1 heaped tbsp pumpkin seeds (10 g/ 0.4 oz)
- 1 heaped tbsp sunflower seeds (10 g/ o.4 oz)
- ⅓ cup coconut chips (20 g/ 0.7 oz)
- 1 tbsp dukkah spice mix
- few watercress leaves
- Place the stock in a saucepan and simmer on a medium heat for 20 minutes until the stock reduces to almost half its volume. Concentrating the stock like this is my top tip to making the tastiest soup!
- Meanwhile, peel and finely dice the onion and garlic. Add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil to a new saucepan and sweat the onion for 2 minutes on a medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 further minute. Turn off the heat.
- Once the stock is reduced, chop the broccoli Add the raw broccoli and remove from the heat. Allow to stand for 10 minutes. Place back on the heat and add the coconut milk, onion and garlic mix, salt and pepper and heat through, takes 1 - 2 minutes.
- Place the soup in a high speed food blender like a Vitamix. Add the coconut cream, remaining 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and optional watercress. Blitz until smooth. Place back in a pan and heat through.
- To serve, place in your favourite bowls and top with coconut chips, seeds, coconut yoghurt, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, a pinch of dukkah spice blend, and season to taste. Option to toast the coconut chips in the oven for 3 - 4 minutes until golden (170 C/ 340 F). My favourite way to enjoy coconut chips is toasted!
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!