This recipe is based on a traditional Czech meal that I used to love as a kid. It will feed a crowd and is easy to prepare with just a few common ingredients. The traditional Kuře na Paprice is served with dumplings that are made with eggs, flour, bread rolls, yeast, milk and salt. As you may have guessed, to make this meal low-carb, I serve it with cauliflower rice. Hope you all like it!
Nutritional values (per serving)
|of which Saturated||23||grams|
|Magnesium||38||mg (9% RDA)|
|Potassium||480||mg (24% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (2.7%), protein (14.4%), fat (82.9%)
Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
- 8-12 chicken drumsticks with bone and skin (about 1 kg / 2.2 lb), will yield about 60% meat or thighs if you prefer boneless (600 g / 1.3 lb)
- 1 medium white onion (110 g / 3.9 oz)
- 1 medium red pepper (120 g / 4.2 oz)
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbsp ghee, you can make your own (30 g / 1.1 oz)
- 1 cup chicken stock or water (240 ml / 8 fl oz)
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream or coconut milk - I like Aroy-D coconut milk (60 ml / 2 fl oz)
- ¼ cup soured cream or more coconut milk (58 g / 2 oz)
- ½ tsp salt or to taste (I used pink Himalayan)
- freshly ground black pepper
- Optional: serve with 4-6 cups cauli-rice (1 - 1 ½ cup (120 - 180 g / 4.2 - 6.3 oz) per serving, will add 3.6 - 5.3 g net carbs per serving)
Notes: When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives).
- Pat dry the chicken using a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper. Grease a large soup pot or a Dutch oven with a small amount of ghee. Once hot, add the chicken and cook over a medium-high heat until browned from all sides.
- Pour in the chicken stock or water and bring to a boil. Cover with a lid, lower the heat and cook for 25-30 minutes. Once cooked, use tongs to remove the chicken and keep aside in a bowl. Shred the meat off the bone if you like.
- Meanwhile, peel and finely dice the onion. Halve, deseed and slice the red pepper.
- Place the onion to a pan greased with the remaining ghee and cook until lightly browned and fragrant. Add the red pepper slices and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Place the onion and pepper into the pot with the chicken stock and add paprika. Take off the heat.
- Using a hand blender, pulse until smooth. Place back on the stove, pour in the heavy whipping cream...
- ...and sour cream. Place the chicken (with or without bones) back in the pot with the sauce and cook for just about 5 minutes.
- If serving with cauli-rice, follow the steps here to make it.
- Once you "rice" the cauliflower, place in a pot and add half of the sauce from the chicken. Cook for 6-8 minutes and enjoy! Alternatively, try with Keto Buns.
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!