This recipe is great for a keto / paleo diet because it's low in carbs and very high in micronutrients. I used watercress, one of the most underestimated superfoods. Together with Chinese cabbage, chard and spinach, it has the highest amounts of micronutrients amongst greens. It's high in antioxidants, vitamin A, B, C, E, K, magnesium, potassium and is one of the best non-dairy source of calcium. One serving of this soup will provide over 40% of your daily potassium and help you beat "keto" flu.
For a vegetarian option, use vegetable stock. If you want to avoid dairy, use coconut milk instead. Try this creamy soup with low-carb bread such as Ultimate Keto Buns or Keto Breadsticks!
Nutritional values (per serving):
|of which Saturated||23.4||grams|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (7.1%), protein (5.1%), fat (87.8%)
Ingredients (makes 6 servings):
- 1 medium head cauliflower (400 g / 14.1 oz)
- 1 medium white onion (110 g / 3.9 oz)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 150 g watercress (5.3 oz)
- 200 g fresh spinach (7.1 oz) or frozen spinach (220 g / 7.8 oz)
- 1 litre vegetable stock or bone broth or chicken stock - you can make your own (4 cups / 1 quart)
- 1 cup cream or coconut milk (240 ml / 8 fl oz) + 6 tbsp for garnish
- ¼ cup ghee or coconut oil - you can make your own ghee (55 g / 1.9 oz)
- 1 tsp salt or to taste (I like pink Himalayan rock salt)
- freshly ground black pepper
- Optional: fresh herbs such as parsley or chives for garnish
When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives).
- Peel and finely dice the onion and garlic. Place in a soup pot or a Dutch oven greased with ghee and cook over a medium-high heat until slightly browned. Wash the spinach and watercress and set aside.
- Cut the cauliflower into small florets and place in the pot with browned onion. Add crumbled bay leaf. Cook for about 5 minutes and mix frequently.
- Add the spinach and watercress and cook until wilted for just about 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Cook until the cauliflower is crisp-tender and pour in the cream (or coconut milk).
- Season with salt and pepper. Take off the heat and using a hand blender, pulse until smooth and creamy.
- Serve immediately or chill and keep refrigerated for up to 5 days. Freeze for longer.
Just before serving, drizzle some cream on top. Enjoy! :-)