This salad is one of my "grab & go" favourites. It's great for anyone with a busy lifestyle looking for a sating and nutritious low-carb meal they can take to work. I always have hard-boiled eggs and keto-friendly mayo in my fridge. This way I save time and money and avoid temptations. If you want to succeed with your healthy low-carb eating, you should plan your cooking at least a few days in advance.
Nutritional values (per serving):
|of which Saturated||8.8||grams|
|Magnesium||63||mg (16% RDA)|
|Potassium||655||mg (33% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (3%), protein (26%), fat (71%)
Ingredients (1 serving, large salad bowl):
- 1 small head lettuce, Romaine or Little Gem (100 g/ 3.5 oz)
- 140 g tinned tuna, drained (5 oz)
- 2 eggs, hard-boiled, free-range or organic
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise, try my home-made mayo (30 g/ 1.1 oz)
- 1 medium spring onion or bunch chives (15 g/ 0.5 oz)
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt to taste (I used pink Himalayan)
Note: Use less tuna if you this recipe is too high in protein for you. Find out what's your ideal protein intake using our keto calculator.
- Tear the leaves of the lettuce, wash and drain in a salad spinner or with a paper towel. Spread the leaves over the bottom of the serving bowl.
- Add drained and shredded tuna.
To avoid unhealthy vegetable oils that may often be used in tuna products, get tuna in extra virgin olive oil or in brine. I avoid buying canned foods and get tuna in glass jars instead. This will minimise your exposure to toxic BPAs that may often be present in canned foods.
- Top with hard-boiled eggs (see instructions in this recipe to see how to hard-boil eggs), mayo and freshly chopped spring onion.
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and enjoy!