Eating more dietary fat for breakfast will boost your metabolism and help you with fat loss! Your body is in fat-burning mode when you first wake up, and you can keep that going if you keep your carbs intake low in the morning. In other words, this means you should have the majority of carbs later in the day rather than eating them in the morning.
A study from 2010 published in the International Journal of Obesity examined the effect of different types of foods and timing of intake on the development of metabolic syndrome characteristics.
It concludes that eating dietary fat in the morning is better metabolically, because the enzymes are most active when you wake up, and least active at the end of the day. In other words, the first meal you have in the morning will program your metabolism for the rest of the day. So, eat fat and you will most likely be burning fat throughout the day!
So, what should the perfect breakfast look like? On days you really want to eat as little carbs as possible, here is the list of foods you can try:
- avocados (they contain heart-healthy monounsaturated fats)
- eggs (they are amazingly nutritious - rich in protein, fat, vitamins and minerals)
- bacon and fatty meat cuts
- fatty fish (salmon, mackerel, sardines, herring)
- fresh vegetables (freshly chopped, full of vitamins, minerals and fiber)
- nuts (rich in omega 3 fatty acids that will help you burn fat)
- full-fat plain yogurt (slightly higher in carbs but also contains gut-friendly bacteria that will help digestion)
Aim for organic, natural products and avoid preservatives (e.g. if you get eggs, get them free-range or organic) - read the food labels!
Do you like this post? Share it with your friends!
Let us know what you think, rate this post!