New Year's Eve is fast approaching and if you haven't made plans for your festive menu, this low-carb dish may be just what you were looking for. It was created by the very talented blogger Tina Turbin of PaleOmazing, and it's a great addition to her Paleo Cornish Game Hens!
It’s hard to believe that 2017 is fast approaching in a few days. A lot of us have New Year resolutions on our mind, and with that you may be thinking about healthier meals that adhere to the paleo or keto diet. This brings me to my delicious beef short ribs recipe. It’s a family favorite and a definite crowd-pleaser and boy will it leave your tummy feeling pleasantly full. Who am I? I am Tina Turbin of PaleOmazing.com.
This is a crock pot recipe so it’s of course very easy to make. Just set it all up, place the ingredients in your pot and press the button! The combo of beef and veggies and healthy fats in this recipe will leave you feeling satiated and makes for a great lunch or dinner. Enjoy this clean meal and here’s to a prosperous 2017! Many more recipes of mine can be found on my site.
Nutritional values (per serving)
|of which Saturated||21.4||grams|
|Magnesium||82||mg (21% RDA)|
|Potassium||985||mg (49% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from net carbs (5%), protein (22%), fat (73%)
Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
- 8 grass-fed beef short ribs, approximately 2+ pounds - will yield about 50% meat
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (30 g/ 1.1 oz)
- 2 tbsp ghee (30 g/ 1.1 oz)
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- ½ - 1 cup Marsala (120-240 ml/ 4-8 fl oz) - use dry Marsala wine, or dry white wine for keto
- ¾ cup fresh tomato sauce from gently pureed very ripe tomatoes (180 ml/ 6 fl oz)
- 2 cut up “hunks” of fresh tomatoes (225 g/ 8 oz)
- 3 cloves freshly chopped garlic
- 6 large rainbow chard leaves, chopped (170 g/ 6 oz) or 2 cups cooked spinach (450 g/ 1 lb)
- 2 chopped celery stalks, leave in large hunks (128 g/ 4.5 oz)
- Optional: Carrots, leave in large hunks and use as many as you’d like
- Optional: Mushrooms, as many as you’d like
- Optional: ½ cup water (120 ml/ 4 fl oz)
Notes: Optionally, let sit covered for another hour. Delicious with a hunk of Paleo-friendly bread to soak up the sauce. The sauce is killer for a soup too!
- Remove short ribs from the package. Cut rack into 8 big, beautiful, even pieces. Season the ribs liberally with freshly cracked pepper and a few pinches of salt.
- Preheat your skillet and coconut oil or ghee. Sautee the ribs until browned on all sides.
- Remove and place ribs in crock pot. Add Marsala to the pan and deglaze. Add tomatoes and tomato sauce to pan. Stir to incorporate.
- Pour everything from pan over the ribs. Add remaining ingredients to crock pot. Move around everything in the crock pot so that some vegetables are on top and some are on the bottom.
- Cook on high for 6 hours or on low for 7-8 hours. Do not lift the lid except maybe once to turn the ribs over. Enjoy!
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!