Chicken Fricassee is a delicious French easy to prepare comfort dish. To make this recipe suitable for a ketogenic & primal diet, I used a combination of cream and egg yolks instead of flour to thicken the sauce, and served it with cauli-rice. If you follow a paleo approach, you can skip the cream and use coconut milk instead. If you don't want to use any wine, simply add more chicken stock or bone broth.
Nutritional values (per serving):
|of which Saturated||26.8||grams|
|Magnesium||65||mg (16% RDA)|
|Potassium||955||mg (48% EMR)|
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (6%), protein (21%), fat (73%).
Ingredients (makes 4 servings):
- 500 g chicken thighs, thinly sliced (1.1 lb)
- ½ tsp salt or to taste (I like pink Himalayan)
- 4 tbsp ghee or duck fat (60 g/ 2.1 oz)
- 1 small white or yellow onion, diced (70 g/ 2.5 oz)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium celery stalk, sliced (40 g/ 1.4 oz)
- 1 cup sliced white mushrooms (70 g/ 2.5 oz)
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice (30 ml/ 1 fl oz)
- ½ cup chicken stock or bone broth - you can make your own (120 ml/ 4 fl oz)
- ½ cup dry white wine or more stock (120 ml/ 4 fl oz)
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream or coconut milk (240 ml/ 8 fl oz)
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped herbs such as parsley, tarragon or thyme
- 4 cups uncooked cauliflower rice (480 g/ 16.9 oz) - here's how to "rice" cauliflower
- freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the chicken into medium pieces and season with salt. Heat a large casserole dish or skillet greased with 2 tablespoons of ghee over a medium-high heat. Add the chicken slices and cook until browned from all sides, for 6-8 minutes.
- Once browned, using a slotted spoon, transfer to a bowl and set aside. Work in batches if needed - do not overfill the pan.
- Add another tablespoon of ghee in the pan where you cooked the chicken. Add diced onion and minced garlic. Cook until lightly browned and fragrant, for 2-3 minutes. Then, add the sliced celery stalks and mushrooms. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for a minute.
- Add the lemon juice, chicken stock, white wine, crumbled bay leaf and paprika. Bring to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the cream with the egg yolks. Slowly drizzle the egg & cream mixture into the pan while mixing and cook until thickened, for 1-2 minutes. Then, add freshly chopped herbs (reserve some for garnish).
Don't waste the egg whites! Keep them for making any of my keto bread recipes or Sugar-Free Meringues.
- Put the browned chicken back into the casserole, combine and cook for 1-2 minutes. Once cooked, set aside.
- In another large pot, cook the cauliflower rice. Grease the pot with the remaining tablespoon of ghee. Add the "riced" cauliflower (see my step-by-step guide on how to "rice" cauliflower). Season with salt and pepper and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When done, serve the chicken with the cauliflower rice and garnish with the reserved parsley.
Do you like this recipe? Share it with your friends!